Highway Use Permit - Signs

Local governments and business owners must apply for a highway use permit to get a service and attraction sign ordered and installed by the B.C. government. Private signs along highways are not permitted.

Local services and attractions signs point out conveniences to the travelling public. Theses signs are not intended to promote any one service, attraction or facility over another. Common services and attractions are:

  • Gas stations
  • Restaurants
  • Motels
  • Campgrounds
  • Airports
  • Tourist attractions
  • Artisan businesses

To be eligible for signing, signs must meet specified minimum standards and must be located within specified maximum distances from provincial highway turnoffs.


Billboards can be a distraction to travellers. The B.C. government will not approve of billboards near the highway right-of-way. Billboards must be placed a minimum of 300 metres away from a provincially owned highway in rural areas.


Learn more about the highway use permit application process for works.