Gambling workers registration

All gambling industry workers in British Columbia must be registered to ensure that high standards of honesty and integrity are met.

Learn more:


Who Needs to be Registered? All gambling industry workers in B.C. must be registered with the Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch including, but not limited to:
  • Casino, bingo, and community gambling centre workers (dealers, cashiers, food and beverage workers, janitors, and more)
  • Gambling event licence ticket raffle or bingo workers
  • British Columbia Lottery Corporation (BCLC) contractors
  • Horse racing workers (owners, jockeys, trainers, grooms, exercise persons, veterinarians, pari-mutuel staff, teletheatre staff) see Horse Racing - Apply for Registration & Licence

The registration process and requirements are different for people and companies who provide gambling services or are involved in lottery retail sales. Find out more at Gambling Services Providers or Lottery Retailers.

Registration Period Three (3) years

Complete and submit online using the Online Service (preferred method), or by mail or courier.

Processing Fee $45.00 (non-refundable)


How to Apply

Expand the sections below to see information about each step of the gambling worker registration process. Click "expand all" if you want to see all of the steps or if you want to print this page.

As part of the registration process, you are required to submit to a background check, which includes but is not limited to a criminal record check (including young offenders records) and a credit check.

As a gambling worker in B.C., you must comply with the terms, conditions, rules and policies outlined in the application form and related documents.

The registration process and requirements are different for companies and individuals who provide gambling services or are involved in lottery retail sales or horse racing. If you are unsure which type of registration applies to you, please contact us. Read more on the following pages:

Online Application

Before starting your application, please review all related information under Application Resources. To apply online, use the Online Service and ensure all mandatory information has been provided.

Apply Now

Mail or Courier Application

Applications may be submitted by mail or courier only in extraordinary situations and only with prior approval from GPEB. In addition, receiving a decision will take much longer due to longer transit and processing times. Please contact the Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch at for more information.

If a valid email address was provided, you will receive an electronic notification regarding the status of your application once it has been processed.

The electronic notifications will be system-generated so please do not respond directly. If you have questions about your application, please contact us by one of the methods listed on the Questions & Contact Information page.

Applications that are denied or have conditions imposed may be eligible for written reply.


Identification Requirements

To be eligible for Gaming Worker Registration applicants must, at the time of application, provide copies of two valid pieces of identification (ID). One must be a government-issued ID that includes your full legal name, date of birth, signature and photo from the list of primary ID. The second may be selected from either the primary or secondary ID list. 

Please note:

  • Expired IDs will not be accepted
  • Both IDs must have the same name
  • The new combined BC Driver’s Licence and Services Card is considered one piece of identification

You must submit one (1) high quality colour photo taken within the last three (3) months with your application.

For a detailed list of accepted identification and photo requirements, review the information below.

Type of Identification Note(s)
Driver's Licence
  • Both sides of ID
Combination BC Driver's Licence and Services card
  • Both sides of ID
BC identification card (BCID)
  • Older BCID cards without an expiry date are not accepted as primary ID
  • Both sides of BCID cards with an expiry date are required
BC Services card (photo)
  • Both sides of ID
Canadian Citizenship card
  • The commemorative sheet that comes with a citizenship card is not accepted as primary ID
Canada Identity card
  • Issued by Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade to foreign representatives accredited to Canada
Canadian Permanent Resident card
  • Both sides of ID
Secure Certificate of Indian Status card
  • Only cards with new design are acceptable (issued after Dec 15, 2009)
Type of identification Note(s)
Any of the accepted Primary ID noted above  
Bank or Credit Card
  • Your name must be imprinted on the card
BC Security Workers Licence (card)


BC Services Card (without photo)  
Birth Certificate from Foreign Country
  • A baptismal certificate is not acceptable
Canadian Birth Certificate

Most Canadian birth certificates are accepted as secondary ID.  Some examples of documents that are not accepted include:

  • baptismal certificates
  • certificates of live birth
  • commemorative birth certificates
  • Canadian Registration of Birth Abroad Certificate
  • Quebec birth certificates issued before 1994
  • Manitoba birth certificates issued by a "division registrar"
  • Ontario Long Form Birth Certificates (also called Registration of birth certificate)
Canadian Firearms License (Possession and Acquisition Licence, PAL)



Canadian Forces Identification  
Canadian Record of Landing  
Employee ID card with photo
  • Canadian Employers only
Foreign Affairs Canada or Consular Identification  
Health Card issued by a Canadian province or territory


Certificate of Indian Status Card  
Nexus Card  
Police Identification Card  
School ID Card (Student card)
  • Canadian schools only
  • Must be valid
Social Insurance Card
  • Your name must be imprinted on the card
  • Signature must appear on the card

Immigration Documents (Student, work, visitor, or temporary-resident permit)

  • Must be valid

Submit one photo meeting the specifications below.

  1. The photo may be taken with a digital camera or scanned.
  2. The photo must be saved and submitted in a colour JPEG file format and have a file size more than 200 KB (kilobytes) and less than 2 MB (megabytes).
  3. The photo must be taken against a plain white or light-coloured background with no shadows, reflection or glare so that your features are clearly distinguishable against the background.
  4. The photo must be clear, sharp and in focus.
  5. The photo must show a full front view of the face and top of the shoulders squared to the camera (the image of the face and shoulders must be centered in the photo). The head must not be tilted.
  6. Your eyes must be open and clearly visible. Photos with red eye effect or red eye alterations are unacceptable. Prescription eyeglasses may be worn if the eyes are clearly visible and there is no reflection or glare. Sunglasses and tinted eyeglasses are unacceptable.
  7. Photo must represent your natural skin tone.

Head coverings are acceptable provided the eyes, nose and mouth remain clearly visible.


Example photo depicting specifications listed above

Note: Not actual size. Refer to the measurements above.

Note: For examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos please see Canadian Passport photo specifications located at:



Non-Resident Criminal Record Requirements

Applicants for gambling (gaming) registration in the Province of British Columbia that reside outside of Canada at the time of application must provide the following documentation with their Gambling Worker application. All Police Certificates, United States local and state criminal record documents and FBI Identification records checks must not be older than three (3) months from the date of application for GPEB registration.


United States (US) Residents

Gambling Worker applicants that reside in the United States must provide an authenticated local police check document (Police Certificate) which includes a local and state criminal record search for the area they currently reside in.

United States residents must also provide an authenticated FBI identification records check (Identity History Summary).  Applicants should refer to the Federal Bureau of Investigation's ("FBI") website for instructions on how to submit the request.

Note: United States applicants should contact their local State Identification Bureau (or state police), who may be able to coordinate all of the required criminal record searches. 


Foreign Residents (other than US or Canada)

Gambling Worker applicants that reside in a country other than Canada or the United States must provide a national police certificate from the country they currently reside in.

Note: Obtaining a police certificate varies from country to country. Please go to and select the country you reside in to determine how to obtain a police certificate.

Translation Required: If the original police certificate is in a language other than English, the applicant must provide GPEB with a copy of the original police certificate as well as an English version translated by a certified translator along with an affidavit from the person who completed the translation.



Conditions of Registration (Gaming Worker)

Failure to comply with any of the following conditions may be grounds for the General Manager (GPEB) or delegated authorities to cancel registration. Registration may not be transferred to any other person. 

Section 35 Gaming Control Regulation - It is a condition of the registration of a gaming worker that: 

(a)    he or she must submit to and co-operate in background investigations, including interviews at the request of the general manager, conducted under the Act, 

(b)    he or she must obey the standard operating procedures and rules of play that are
        (i) established by the general manager or the lottery corporation, and 
        (ii) relevant to the type of gaming pertinent to the registration, 

(b.1) he or she must immediately report to the general manager 
        (ii ) a change of his or her name, and 
        (iii) any criminal charges or criminal investigation involving the gaming worker, or any civil litigation in which there are allegations of fraud, theft, deceit or misrepresentation involving the gaming worker. 

(c)    if his or her duties pertain to security or surveillance at a gaming facility, produce for inspection his or her official identification at the request of an inspector, an investigator of the branch, an onsite gaming official of the lottery corporation or a police officer, and 

(d)    if his or her duties do not pertain to security or surveillance at a gaming facility, wear or display official identification in a manner clearly visible to the public, while on duty at a gaming facility.


Additional information, documents, and forms related to gambling worker registration are available in this section. Click below to see more information about these resources. Click "expand all" if you want to see all of the information or if you want to print this page.

If you have lost your original letter or have changed your name, please request a replacement by emailing For name changes, please include copies of a legal name change document or marriage certificate, and updated primary ID.

Applications that are denied or have conditions imposed will receive written reasons for the decision. Applicants may submit a written reply within 30 days. Within 60 days of receiving the written reply a decision will be made to confirm or vary the original decision.