Burn registration

Last updated on March 20, 2024

Anyone lighting a Category 3 fire must first obtain a burn registration number by calling 1 888 797-1717 or emailing hpr.1800@gov.bc.ca

These burn registration numbers are logged into the Open Fire Tracking System (OFTS) along with details about the registered burn. This system allows the BC Wildfire Service to track regulated burning across B.C., manage firefighting resources and minimize false reports of wildfires.

The data collected in OFTS allows the BC Wildfire Service to run reports that detail all of the active open fires in a specified area. The Ministry of Environment and local fire departments are also entitled to read-only access of OFTS data. This allows for shared information and improved fire management.

Please note that simply emailing the BC Wildfire Service does not fulfill the requirement for obtaining a burn registration number.

You need to receive a response that your number is active and comply with the additional restrictions and regulations noted in the response email (including complying with the Ministry of Environment's Open Burning Smoke Control Regulations, checking the Ministry of Environment’s Ventilation Index, having appropriate safety equipment on hand, complying with any open fire prohibitions, and checking with any local authorities (i.e. fire department or regional district) for any additional restrictions in your area).

Unsure if you need to register your burn? Want to know what your legal obligations are when open burning? The Government of BC has produced a series of pamphlets which detail safe practices and the regulations around open burning.  

Map of Registered Open Burns

An interactive map exists with details and locations for all active Category 3 burn registrations, as well as any that expired in the last seven days. This map is available to be viewed by the public.

Frequently Asked Questions


Is the burn registration number a permit?

No, a registration number is not a permit. The BC Wildfire Service does not issue permits for burns. However, local governments may require a permit. It is the responsibility of the person conducting the burn to check with any local authorities about a permit and local burning by-laws. A person is required under the Wildfire Regulation when performing a Category 3 burn in B.C. to register their burn with the BC Wildfire Service. 


What information do I need to register a burn and obtain a burn registration number?

To obtain a registration number call 1 888 797-1717 or email hpr.1800@gov.bc.ca. You will be asked to provide contact information for yourself and/or the company you are burning with. If you are burning on private property you will be required to give two different legal descriptions for that property (found on Property Assessment or Tax papers). The BC Wildfire Service is required to know where you are burning – this can be your residential address or coordinates for your property (please note that a residential address cannot be used as a legal description) and how many piles you are burning. Please provide a phone number in case the BC Wildfire Service needs to contact you for further details.

If you are burning on Crown Land you are required to provide at least one legal description and a set of coordinates for the location of the burn.


How long is a burn registration number active? 

A burn registration number is normally issued for a period of 2 weeks. If your Category 3 open fire will not be extinguished within that time, your burn registration number may be renewed by calling 1 888 797-1717 or emailing hpr.1800@gov.bc.ca


Map of Registered Burns
Preview of the registered burn map

View details and locations of all registered Category 3 burns across B.C.