The Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources (the Ministry) is in the process of consulting with stakeholders regarding the British Columbia Greenhouse Gas Reduction (Renewable and Low Carbon Fuel Requirements) Act (Act) and the Renewable and Low Carbon Fuel Requirements Regulation (Regulation) (together the BC-LCFS).
It is the intention of the Ministry to consult with stakeholders regarding:
- The feasibility of the carbon intensity targets, including the potential to require a 15 to 20 percent total reduction in carbon intensity of transportation fuels by 2030
- Potential policy improvements requiring amendments to the Act and/or Regulation, including cost containment, refinery improvements, improvements to Part 3 Agreements, and recognition of Biojet
- Amendments to the Act and Regulation to address issues that have been identified in the past few years that will require legislative and/or regulatory amendments
On December 1, 2017, the Ministry invited stakeholders to provide written responses to the Pathway Assessment 2017 document,
A one day in-person workshop will take place in Victoria on January 31, 2018 to explore the Pathway Assessment and the potential for further carbon intensity reductions after 2020.
In the coming months, the Ministry intends to release a series of short discussion papers regarding the policy improvements mentioned above. Each discussion paper will invite focused responses to explore the topic of that paper.
During the first phase of public consultation regarding the BC-LCFS, the Ministry received 23 unique written submissions responding to the Compliance Pathway Assessment discussion paper. Below are the PDF documents for each submission from the first phase, listed in alphabetical order.
- Advanced Biofuels Canada (PDF, 1 MB)
- BC Hydro (PDF, 156 KB)
- Blue Fuel Energy Corporation (PDF, 717 KB)
- Canadian Fuels Association (PDF, 462 KB)
- Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers’ Association (PDF, 774 KB)
- Canfor Pulp Ltd. (PDF, 30 KB)
- Carbon Engineering Ltd. (PDF, 404 KB)
- ChargePoint, Inc. (PDF, 405 KB)
- Clean Energy Canada (PDF, 178 KB)
- Clean Energy Fuels Corp. (PDF, 63 KB)
- Enerkem (PDF, 157 KB)
- FortisBC Energy Inc. (PDF, 215 KB)
- Global Automakers of Canada (PDF, 801 KB)
- Highbury Energy Inc. (PDF, 77 KB)
- Husky Energy Inc. (PDF, 1 MB)
- Hydra Energy Corporation (PDF, 942 KB)
- LanzaTech (PDF, 96 KB)
- Methanex Corporation (PDF, 571 KB)
- North West Redwater Partnership (PDF, 666 KB)
- Renewable Energy Group, Inc. (PDF, 132 KB)
- Renewable Industries Canada (PDF, 204 KB)
- Suncor Energy Products Partnership (PDF, 2 MB)