Operating a strata
Learn more about the legal requirements for operating a strata corporation. Strata council members, owners and tenants have important roles and responsibilities.
Learn more on this website:
- Roles and responsibilities of owners, tenants, the strata council, the strata property manager and the strata corporation.
- Sections and types, a strata corporation may also be further divided up into sections or types which have additional legal requirements.
- Information and record keeping including which records to keep current and records to be kept permanently.
- Meetings and voting including annual general meetings, strata council meetings and types of votes: 3/4, majority and unanimous.
- Bylaws and rules, bylaws and rules explained, bylaw enforcement and changing bylaws.
- Strata finances and insurance including strata fees, the contingency reserve fund (CRF) and special levies.
- Repair and maintenance including depreciation reports.
- The environment and strata corporations: electrical vehicle charging in strata corporations.
Find it fast: a convenient site map listing all the webpages on the Province's strata housing website.
Subscribe for occasional email updates to strata legislation and the Province's strata housing website.
Disclaimer: The information on this strata housing website is provided for the user’s convenience as a basic starting point; it is not a substitute for getting legal advice. Please learn more about the site’s purpose and limits.
The content on this website is periodically reviewed and updated by the Province of British Columbia as per the date noted on each page: May 30, 2023.