Only those MSP beneficiaries with supplementary benefits status qualify for MSP coverage of non-surgical podiatry services. To verify a patient's eligibility for these benefits, use the Teleplan online eligibility check feature or call Coverage Enquiries.
Podiatrists who are licensed by the College of Podiatric Surgeons of British Columbia (CPodSBC) are eligible to enrol with MSP and obtain MSP billing numbers.
Enrolment status, and, therefore, the possession of an active billing number, is contingent upon the practitioner's continued licensure by the CPodSBC. Any change in licensure, such as the renewal of a temporary license or specialty, must be reported to MSP to avoid refusal of claims.
Payment Schedule (Non-Surgical Podiatry only)
P00189 Podiatry Visit .................................................$23.00
- This item is applicable only to patients who have MSP supplementary benefits status.
- Subject to i) above, acupuncture, chiropractic, massage therapy, naturopathic, non-surgical podiatry, and physical therapy services are benefits up to a combined maximum of 10 visits per patient per calendar year.
- Only payable if an adequate clinical record has been created and maintained for the service being claimed.
The Laboratory Services Act (LSA) came into force on October 1, 2015. The LSA replaces the Medicare Protection Act and the Hospital Insurance Act as the authority for insuring laboratory services and consolidates the responsibility for all publicly-funded laboratory services in British Columbia. For information on laboratory service benefits under the Laboratory Services Act, visit the Laboratory Services website.
Preamble and Payment Schedule: Podiatry Services
- The Plan includes as insured services the services of podiatrists who are registered members in good standing of the College of Podiatric Surgeons of British Columbia, and licensed under the Health Professions Act, when rendered in the Province of British Columbia to insured persons as prescribed in #2 and #3 below.
- Non-surgical podiatry services will be an insured benefit only for beneficiaries with Medical Services Plan (MSP) supplementary benefits status.
- Surgical podiatry services will be an insured benefit for all beneficiaries of the MSP where such services are medically necessary.
- The Plan does not pay a podiatrist for taking x-rays. A podiatrist taking x-rays must advise the patient beforehand in writing that x-ray services are not covered and include the visit cost of such x-ray in written notice. Such x-ray cost is the patient's responsibility. The Plan will pay for radiological (x-ray) services of a physician or surgeon on request or referral from a podiatrist.
- The terms of this preamble emphasize the need for proper continuing close professional relationship between the patient's medical practitioners and the podiatrist.
- a. Podiatrists who are opted-out of MSP are permitted to charge patients more for a service than is set out in the applicable Payment Schedule.
Before providing services, practitioners must inform patient:
- that the practitioner has opted out;
- how much the patient will be reimbursed by MSP; and
- how much, if any, the patient will be paying in addition to the MSP fee.
Complete MSP Payment Schedule: Podiatry Services (includes Surgical) (PDF, 98KB)