The services of Osteopaths, as defined below, are a benefit for eligible British Columbia residents enrolled with the Medical Services Plan (MSP). In BC, in accordance with the Osteopathic Agreement between the Province, the Medical Services Commission, and the BC Osteopathic Association, an “Osteopath” is an osteopathic physician and medical practitioner who:
- is regulated under the Health Professions Act, and the Medicare Protection Act;
- is a member in good standing of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia; and
- is eligible for membership in the British Columbia Medical Association.
While other health care practitioners may use similar titles, MSP only covers osteopathic medical services as provided by Osteopaths, as defined above.
In order to receive payment from MSP for insured services provided to eligible patients, Osteopaths must first enrol with MSP to receive a practitioner number. Osteopaths who are licensed by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia (CPSBC) are eligible to enrol with MSP and obtain MSP practitioner numbers. After they have enrolled and received their practitioner number, Osteopaths can submit claims to MSP for services listed in the Medical Services Commission (MSC) Payment Schedule: Osteopathy. All claims must be submitted in accordance with applicable laws including the Medicare Protection Act.
The process for an Osteopath to enrol in MSP is the same as for all physicians.
MSC Payment Schedule: Osteopathy
- The MSC Payment Schedule: Osteopathy, is the payment schedule under which Osteopaths may bill the MSP for osteopathic services provided to beneficiaries under the Medicare Protection Act.
- In order for the MSP to pay for these services, an Osteopath must be registered in the osteopathic class with the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons.
- In addition to the following payment schedule, as licensees under the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Osteopaths are also entitled to submit claims for fee items listed in the physician MSC Payment Schedule to the extent such fee items are within their scope of practice.