Action Plan Commitment: Information provided in October 2012 to assist you and your family to understand and live with dementia, including support provided by the Alzheimer Society’s First Link program.
What does it mean for me?
You, or someone close to you, may be affected by dementia now or in future. A diagnosis of dementia is life altering. The changes to memory, behaviour and functional abilities can profoundly affect the lives of people with the disease and their relationships with family and friends. Understanding the impact of dementia and how best to assist and care for yourself, or those within your care, are keys to improved quality of life and health outcomes wherever you, your family member or friend may live.
Health care information and services for people with dementia are provided by the Ministry of Health in collaboration with physicians, health care providers, health authorities and the Alzheimer Society of British Columbia. Quality, person-centred care for people with dementia is a key goal to support you and your loved ones if you are coping with dementia. More information is available at the links below.
Information on dementia for patients, families, friends and caregivers:
- Visit HealthLink BC and look up these and other topics on Dementia:
- Alzheimer’s or Other Dementia: Should I Move My Relative into Long-term Care?
- Learn about BC’s First Link® program provided by the Alzheimer Society of BC
- Read the Guidelines for Care: Person-Centred Care of People with Dementia Living in Care Homes Framework
Information on caring for persons with Dementia for physicians, health care providers, residential care facility staff and other health care organizations:
- Best Practice Guideline for Accommodating and Managing Behavioural and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia in Residential Care (PDF, 782KB) (new October 2012)
- Improving B.C.’s Care for Persons with Dementia in Emergency Departments and Acute Care Hospitals (PDF, 3.0MB)
- Meeting Seniors’ Mental Health Care Needs in British Columbia: A Resource Document (PDF, 1.7MB)
- A Review of the Use of Antipsychotic Drugs in British Columbia Residential Care Facilities (PDF, 621KB)
- BC Dementia Service Framework (PDF)
- The Provincial Dementia Action Plan for British Columbia (PDF, 7.0MB)
- The Provincial Guide to Dementia Care in British Columbia: Achievements and Next Steps (PDF, 2.7MB) (May 2016)