BC Species & Ecosystems Explorer
BC Species & Ecosystem Explorer has recently been updated to allow combined searches for species and ecological communities.
Use the BC Species & Ecosystems Explorer to search for data and information about plants, animals and ecosystems in B.C.
How to Use the Species & Ecosystems Explorer
Generate lists by area, conservation status, legal designation and more.
Step 1: Select a "Quick Search" option (Red List, Red & Blue List, SARA List) or enter "Basic Search" criteria:
- Species name or ecological community, or
- Select a species or ecosystem group
Step 2: Narrow your search results by entering "Advanced Search" criteria.
Step 3: Select a "Sort Order" for your search results.
Step 4: Click the "Search" button.
Step 5: Cite CDC as a data source.
Every year in April or May, conservation status and taxonomy information is updated (G-Ranks, S-Ranks, B.C. List Status). The following updates are made on an as-needed basis:
- Addition of new species or ecological communities or species or ecosystem groups
- Taxonomic and/or name changes, including species codes
- COSEWIC status (updates twice a year)
- Species at Risk Act legal status
- Distribution information (for example, forest district, biogeoclimatic zone, Ministry of Environment Region)
- Species and ecosystem summary reports and conservation status reports
- Mapped known locations (updated daily)
Find more information about taxonomic and status updates: