WorkSafeBC and reporting injuries

Last updated: January 5, 2023

WorkSafeBC requires that all serious incidents and accidents be immediately reported and investigated.

On this page

The Workers Compensation Act regulates that WorkSafeBC must be notified in the case of a worker's death or a serious injury.

Report the following within 72 hours if:

  • A first aid attendant recommends an employee seek medical treatment
  • The injury requires medical treatment
  • The worker receives medical treatment for the injury
  • The worker is unable to return to work beyond the day of the injury
  • The injury or accident results, or is claimed to result, in the breakage of an artificial member, eyeglasses, dentures or a hearing aid
  • The employee or WorkSafeBC has requested that an employer's report be sent

If an employee is injured in the workplace, immediately submit a report using the Safety Incident Reporting Portal (Form 7).

WorkSafeBC also requires immediate notification of:

  • A major failure or collapse of a structure, equipment, construction support system or excavation
  • A major release of a hazardous material
  • Other serious mishap, such as multiple employees requiring first aid treatment

Report all serious incidents to the WorkSafeBC prevention emergency line.

  • Lower Mainland: 604-276-3301
  • Toll-free: 1-888-621-7233

Report fatalities/serious injuries immediately to:

  • The police
  • The director of the program area
  • The head of the BC Public Service Agency
  • If you are not employed by the B.C. Provincial Government please call WorkSafeBC at 1-888-621-SAFE (7233)
    • The BC Public Service Agency’s 24-hour emergency safety line (IDIR restricted) is available to employees of the B.C. Provincial Government and their managers only  
  • WorkSafeBC's Prevention Emergency Line: 
    • Lower Mainland: 604-276-3301
    • Toll-free: 1-888-621-7233

In the event of a serious incident in your workplace, contact the BC Public Service Agency's 24-hour emergency safety line for immediate assistance (IDIR restricted). This number is for employees of the B.C. Provincial Government and their managers only. 

If you are not employed by the B.C. Provincial Government please call WorkSafeBC at 1-888-621-SAFE (7233)

Supervisors are required to complete a WorkSafeBC report whenever an incident or injury occurs—even if it seems minor.

Employees may be eligible to receive WorkSafeBC benefits if a workplace injury requires medical attention and/or causes them to be absent from work:

  • If the employee loses time from work or seeks medical attention, incidents and injuries must be reported using the Safety Incident Reporting Portal (Form 7) within 3 business days of either the occurrence of the incident or when you first became aware of the injury
  • If the employee does not seek medical attention and does not lose time from work, complete the Safety Incident Reporting Portal (Form 7) and submit it using the classification 'first aid only. This will serve as a record should a claim be made at a later date

Learn more about time incidents in Employer Information and Procedure for WorkSafeBC Claims (PDF, 579KB).

Mental health

Changes to Section 5.1 of the Workers Compensation Act have expanded the scope of how mental health disorders relating to the workplace may be accepted. The Act now provides coverage for mental disorders if the disorder is caused by the workplace.

WorkSafeBC continues to provide compensation for conditions such as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) due to things like witnessing a disturbing event (such as a robbery or violent act), but WorkSafeBC can now provide compensation for a mental disorder caused by significant workplace stressors such as bullying or harassment.

In order to receive compensation, a claimant must prove that the issues occurred at or because of work. WorkSafeBC will contact the worksite to investigate the claim.

If WorkSafeBC verifies the event(s), the claimant will need to receive a diagnosis by a psychologist or psychiatrist from the current American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), which must determine that the condition was predominately caused by the workplace.

'Stress' is not recognized in the current DSM, and therefore is not compensable.

If an employee believes they have a mental condition linked to their work or workplace, they need to submit a Worker's Report of Injury or Occupational Disease to Employer (Form 6A) to their supervisor and file a WorkSafeBC claim. More information can be found through the WorkSafeBC Claims website.

Mental disorder claims are processed the same as other types of claims.

Bullying and harassment claims

Employees that believe they are being bullied or harassed can also file a WorkSafeBC claim.

If you're a supervisor who is informed of a WCB claim that alleges bullying or harassment:

Supervisors may have contact with WorkSafeBC under the following circumstances:

  • You report an accident or injury to WorkSafeBC, where required by the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation and the Workers Compensation Act
  • A WorkSafeBC officer arrives to conduct an inspection of your workplace
  • A WorkSafeBC officer investigates a serious accident or incident at your workplace
  • WorkSafeBC contacts you regarding a claim
  • A worker is returning to work
  • You receive an order or penalty as a result of non-compliance with the Workers Compensation Act and Occupational Health and Safety Regulation

Early intervention and return to work e-learning series

These e-learning courses for supervisors will help you manage your employees who are ill or injured, whether they are still at work, off work or returning to work after a period of absence. These are quick e-learning modules only take a few minutes to work through and give supervisors essential information on dealing with:

  • Sick leave
  • The Managing Employee Health Issues at Work program
  • Doctor's certificate forms
  • Short term illness and injury plan (STIIP) and the supervisor's role
  • Long term disability (LTD) and the supervisor's role
  • Returning to work

Still have questions?

If you have questions or concerns about submitting a workplace injury or illness report, please email the BC Public Service Agency’s WorkSafeBC Claims Resource, or call 236-478-1459.