JOHSC Annual Evaluation
Occupational Health and Safety Regulation 3.26 requires Employers to conduct an annual written evaluation of their Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committees (JOHSC). The BCGEU and BCPSA have developed this JOHSC annual evaluation tool (DOCX, 150KB) with the goals of:
- Measuring Compliance with The Workers Compensation Act and Occupational Health and Safety Regulation (the minimum regulatory standards that must be achieved)
- Measuring compliance with the BCGEU-BCPSA Provincial Government Collective Agreement (also a minimum standard that must be achieved)
- Assisting with annual Committee activity planning
- Helping the Committee have effective meetings
- Helping Committee members work as a team
- Reviewing overall effectiveness of the Committee
The Annual Evaluation is a chance for the Committee to look back on their past year to celebrate their successes and identify opportunities for improvement.
It’s a chance for the committee members to discuss with each other how they think the Committee is functioning and how they work together. There is an also an opportunity for member self-reflection that does not have to be shared with the Committee.
Who Should Complete the Evaluation?
The employer should normally task the Co- Chairs with completing the evaluation:
- Part A: Review should be completed by the Co-Chairs together and then presented at a Committee meeting
- Part B:Committee Questionnaire must be completed by the entire Committee as a group at the Committee Meeting
- Part C: Action Plan should be determined by consensus of the committee, but it must be signed by the Co-Chairs
- Part D: Member Effectiveness Self Check Up should be distributed to Committee members for self-evaluation, and does not need to be shared with the committee or included in the Committee Action plan In Part C
Smaller workplaces/Committees may want to complete Parts A, B, & C together as a group.
If the employer has asked an outside party (e.g. the BCPSA or BCGEU) to complete Part A the outside party must attend the next Committee meeting to present their findings and answer any Committee questions. Only the BCGEU-BCPSA JOHSC Evaluation Tool may be used for workplaces that are under the Collective Agreement.
The JOHSC Annual Evaluation Tool Introduction is a one-hour live webinar available through the Learning Centre. The webinar provides information and direction on the evaluation process. You can attend as an individual or with the entire JOHSC group.