Early Intervention and Return to Work eSeries
If you want quick access to the content below, just click on the e-module links. There is no restriction.
If you want credit on your training record, and you’re a government employee, go to the PSA Learning System (My Learning) and register.
Last updated: October 26, 2022
The Early Intervention and Return to Work eSeries modules are designed for BC Public Service supervisors.
These modules cover a range of topics related to supporting employees who have an illness or injury to stay at work or return to work as soon as possible after a period of illness or injury. The purpose of these modules is to provide information to help you manage situations on your own, or direct you to specialists that can support both you and your employee with early intervention and return to work planning.
Supervisors will learn about:
- Sick leave
- The Managing Employee Health Issues at Work program
- Doctor's Certificate forms
- Short Term Illness and Injury Plan (STIIP) and the supervisor's role
- Long Term Disability (LTD) and the supervisor's role
- Return to work
There are 8 modules in total, divided into 3 categories:
- At work
- Off work
You're encouraged to work through the entire series, but can link to them individually.
eSeries 1: Early Intervention and Return to Work eSeries introduction introduces the series with a brief video message from Dr. William Lakey, medical director of the Workplace Health and Safety Branch of the BC Public Service Agency
- eSeries 2: Assisting an employee with a health issue at work provides information on how to assist an employee who seems to be struggling with a health issue that's impacting them at work in order to help them stay at work rather than be absent
- eSeries 3: My employee is absent. What do I do? helps supervisors understand what to do when they find out their employee is absent, including how to keep communications open with the employee and how to determine if there's an opportunity for an early return to work. Supervisors learn which cases they can manage comfortably and when to contact a specialist for help
- eSeries 4: Doctor's Certificate Form helps supervisors understand what the form is, when it's required, how to complete it, and how to submit it
- eSeries 5: What is STIIP and the supervisor's role within it? provides information about STIIP and the supervisor's role during that period
- eSeries 6: What's Long Term Disability and the supervisor's role within it? explains LTD and the supervisor's role during that period
- eSeries 7: How to plan for an employee returning to work after illness/injury helps supervisors plan and implement an employee's return to work after an absence due to illness or injury
- eSeries 8: When does an employee qualify for a new LTD period (successive disabilities)? helps supervisors understand the requirements that an employee returning to work from LTD must fulfil in order to qualify for further benefits
Scenario-based practice e-course
Early Intervention and Return-to-Work: Supporting Employees in the Workplace builds on the above modules.
Supervisors learn about their role and responsibilities and available resources. They practice decision-making when dealing with employees struggling with health issues.
The scenario-based course is available by registration through the PSA Learning System.