Forest Technologist Entry Level Program
What is FTELP?
The BC Timber Sales Forest Technologist Entry Level Program (FTELP) is a two-year on-the-job training program for Forest Technology Diploma program graduates, followed by at least two-years of full-time regular employment with BCTS in Northern B.C. FTELP offers participants the opportunity to build on their strong educational foundation by gaining practical hands-on experience as forest technologists in an operational environment. Participants will gain experience in all areas of forest technology, including silviculture, harvesting and forest engineering. FTELP will support trainee technologists in achieving their RFT designation.
What to Expect
The FTELP program begins each year in early June and goes for two years. It is situated in the BCTS field office in Mackenzie B.C. FTELP participants will work under team leads and a supervisor who will share their long-term experience as forest professionals. The educational structure of the program will primarily be experiential learning, combined with some coaching, mentoring and formal classroom education. Participants will gain valuable experience in a variety of field and office environments.
What We Do
BC Timber Sales (BCTS) was founded in 2003 with a mandate to market crown timber to establish market price and capture the value of the asset for the public. In meeting this mandate, BCTS employs 600 staff in 12 business areas and maintains an operational presence in 33 communities.
Who Should Apply?
Each year FTELP will intake 6 participants into the program through a merit based process. Candidates who meet the following criteria should apply:
Recent graduates (within two years) of Forest Technology Diploma Programs (accredited by the Association of BC Forest Professionals)
- Individuals eligible for enrollment as a Trainee Forest Technologist with the Association of BC Forest Professionals
- Anyone interested in a diverse and rewarding long-term career with BCTS
- Individuals interested in gaining valuable forest technology experience in remote regions of B.C.
When Can I Apply?
The FTELP will be accepting applications between November and mid-December each year.
FTELP Information Sessions
- Vancouver - UBC, October 16, 2018
- Vancouver - BCIT, October 17, 2018
- Nanaimo - VIU, October 19, 2018
- Castlegar - Selkirk College, October 22, 2018
- Prince George - CNC, October 25, 2018
- Vancouver - UBC Masters Class, October 17, 2018
Why Work For BC Timber Sales?
With an operational presence in 33 communities across the province, BCTS staff have an exceptional opportunity to develop new solutions to complex problems while learning and growing both personally and professionally. Working at BCTS presents existing and future employees with the chance to positively impact BCs economy, forests, communities, and residents. In addition to an exciting career, BCTS offers employees a variety of fantastic benefits and a focus on work/life balance ensuring staff can enjoy all that BC has to offer.
FTELP participants receive:
- A full-time regular BCTS position
- A moving allowance
- Access to multiple paid training and development opportunities
- Assistance with becoming a RFT
- A government benefits package, including a minimum of 3 weeks annual vacation to start, pension, eligibility for the Pacific Leaders Loan Forgiveness Program for BC Student Loans, and a comprehensive medical/dental plan