Commercial Vehicle Safety & Enforcement Branch
Make a difference. Keep our roads safe by removing unsafe commercial vehicles from B.C. roadways.
Consider a career with CVSE – a future with meaningful work, great benefits, and opportunities for training and career growth.
Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement (CVSE) is a branch of the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure that promotes compliance of safety regulations within the commercial transport sector. CVSE enforces acts and regulations designed to improve vehicle and driver fitness to protect public health, the environment, and highway infrastructure. The effectiveness of our educational, enforcement, monitoring and inspection programs motivates and facilitates safe operators, thereby securing safer highways for British Columbians. For more information, visit the CVSE website.
Types of Roles CVSE Offers
CVSE positions are based throughout the province from various field offices to commercial transport inspection stations.
- Must be a Canadian Citizen or a permanent resident.
- Must have a secondary school (Grade 12) education.
- Must have a valid class 5 Driver’s Licence in good standing with no more than 9 demerit points. For out of province applicants, you must have the equivalent class of Driver’s Licence in your jurisdiction and be able to obtain a valid B.C. class 5 Driver’s Licence upon engagement.
- Be willing to work shift work including evenings, weekends, and statutory holidays.
- Be willing to work in a team environment and independently, both in urban and rural, isolated settings.
- Must be willing to operate an emergency equipment-equipped patrol vehicle in all weather and traffic conditions.
- Must maintain an adequate level of physical fitness.
- Must possess a valid First Aid Certificate upon engagement.
- Applicants will be subject to a background investigation including a criminal record check.
- For the Area Vehicle Inspectors – you must have a valid Red Seal certificate as a mechanic.
What Peace Officers Do
- Enforce legislation – Motor Vehicle Act and Regulations, Commercial Transport Act and Regulations, etc.
- Educate drivers and carriers on regulations and safety practices
- Stop and inspect vehicles and/or drivers for safety violations
- Issue violation tickets and inspection notices
- Conduct roadside inspections of commercial vehicles
- Conduct and participate in investigations
Carrier Safety Inspectors – Salary $53,372.71 - $60,887.47 annually
This role performs audits of carriers to ensure compliance with legislation that regulates the commercial trucking industry. CSIs perform the majority of their duties either within the field office or at the carrier’s location. CSIs conduct field investigations to gather evidence of carriers, drivers and vehicles that aren't in compliance with the various legislative regulations. CSIs can take enforcement action if violations or safety concerns are detected.
Commercial Transport Officers – Salary $53,372.71 - $60,887.47 annually
CTEO Officers operate the weigh scales (Commercial Transport Inspection Stations) at various locations across the province. They ensure commercial vehicles are within proper weights and dimensions and that drivers have the proper licences and permits. CTEOs perform patrols in marked and unmarked CVSE patrol vehicles to ensure commercial vehicles are operating safely on highways.
Area Vehicle Inspectors – Salary $58,332.28 - $66,652.94 annually
AVIs are Red Seal Certified mechanics. They perform audits on designated inspection facilities to ensure inspections are being done in accordance with the legislation and/or policies that govern the facilities. AVIs inspect school buses and conduct patrols to ensure commercial vehicle traffic is operating safely on our roadways.
Working for the Commercial Vehicle and Safety Branch
The BC Public Service is an award winning employer that offers its employees competitive benefits and programs, learning opportunities, and a chance to engage in rewarding work with career development opportunities. Expand your horizons and work on a collaborative team where employees enjoy both the rewards and challenges of exciting, multifaceted roles.