Last updated: November 30, 2021
Competencies describe the behaviours and attributes that you demonstrate when doing your job. Find out how they're used in our hiring process.
Behavioural competencies are essential to performing a job. They differentiate average from superior performance.
In the BC Public Service, there are 3 types of competencies:
- Behavioural competencies that apply to all supervisors, managers and staff
- Competencies for strategic leadership positions
- Indigenous relations behavioural competencies for those working directly and indirectly with Indigenous people
See below for more information about these competencies:
- BC Public Service Competencies (PDF, 98KB)
- This document includes definitions of each competency
- Competencies for interviews and hiring
- Competencies for strategic leaders
- Indigenous relations behavioural competencies
- Competencies for hiring managers
- This page describes how competencies are used in the hiring process in the BC Public Service