Last updated: April 17, 2018
BC Public Service hiring managers can use employment agencies as a short-term staffing option, but consider alternatives first.
Temporary workers for bargaining units can be hired through an agency for up to, but not exceeding, 30 days. These are non-employees and are paid by the employment agency.
Consider alternative staffing options before using an employment agency.
There may be qualified employees:
- Entitled to recall from layoff
- Who require a short-term assignment pending placement as a result of workforce adjustment
- Who are returning from a health-related absence
Other options to consider:
- Redistribute critical work between qualified employees currently in the work unit
- Use an employee from a less critical area
- Apply overtime for existing staff
If you have questions regarding employment agencies, please submit an AskMyHR (IDIR restricted) service request using the categories A Hiring Manager > Hiring Process > Hiring Options & Programs.