Highway 1 and 216th Interchange Project
This project was completed in September 2020. It includes a new interchange at the intersection of Highway 1 at 216th Street, and widening of Highway 1 between 202nd Street and the new 216th Street interchange
The project is designed to reduce congestion and increase capacity on Highway 1 and improve connectivity between Langley communities north and south of the highway. These communities have grown significantly in recent years and the construction of a new interchange at 216th Street has been a Township of Langley priority for decades.
This $61.9 million project is funded with contributions from:
- The Government of Canada
- Province of British Columbia
- The Township of Langley
The 216th Street Interchange and Highway 1 Improvement Project opened to the public September 4, 2020.
Landscaping along 216th Street will be ongoing for the month of September. There will also be riparian planting ongoing in other areas of the project. Below is a collection of images featuring the completed construction.
Highway 1 westbound view, with new 216th Street interchange structure
216th Street facing south from Telegraph Trail
The 216th Street Interchange and Highway 1 Improvement Project includes constructing a new interchange at the intersection of Highway 1 and 216th Street in Langley, and lane widening of Highway 1 between 202nd and 216th Street.
The full project scope includes:
- Constructing a new full movement, four-lane interchange at 216th Street with left turn lanes that will provide access onto eastbound and westbound Highway 1
- Providing pedestrian and cycling access across the 216th Street Interchange overpass
- Completing extension of HOV ramps to and from 202nd Street
- Upgrade the new general purpose lane to HOV lanes both eastbound and westbound on Highway 1 between 202nd and 216th street (Total 4 km)
The project is designed to:
- Better accommodate growing traffic demands and the current daily traffic volume of more than 106,000 vehicles on Highway 1
- Relieve existing vehicle congestion at the 200 and 232 Street interchanges
- Improve traffic flow and travel times along Highway 1
- Reduce idling times and related air emissions
- Improve connectivity between Langley communities north and south of Highway 1
- Offer more mobility options for the community with the addition of pedestrian and cycling improvements on the interchange overpass
- Provide continuous HOV connection from Grandview Highway in Vancouver to 216th Street in Langley.
- March 2020 Project Update (PDF, 344KB)
- July 2019 Project Update (PDF, 1.2MB)
- September 2018 Project update (PDF, 293 KB)
- April 2018 Project update (PDF, 4.2MB)
- April 2017 Project update
- January 2017 Project Update (PDF, 575KB)