Home Owner Grant for People With Disabilities

The home owner grant reduces the amount of property taxes you pay each year on your principal residence.

If you’re a person with a disability, or you live with a relative who has a disability, your property is assessed at $1,525,000 or less and you meet certain requirements, you may be eligible for the additional grant of $275 on top of the regular or basic grant of $570. The total grant amount for people with disabilities is $845 in the Capital Regional District, Metro Vancouver Regional District and the Fraser Valley. For all other areas of the province, the total grant amount for people with disabilities is $1,045.

Properties assessed over $1,525,000 may receive a partial grant.

You must pay at least $100 in property taxes before claiming the home owner grant to help fund services such as road maintenance and police protection. 

Find out:

Do I Qualify?

To qualify for the grant:

Note: Qualifying for other assistance programs, like the Canadian Pension Plan (CPP) disability benefit, doesn't automatically qualify you for the home owner grant for people with disabilities.

Your Principal Residence

For the purpose of claiming the home owner grant, you can have only one principal residence.

If you own more than one home, you can't designate which one is your principal residence.

Your principal residence is the usual place that you make your home. It’s where you live and conduct your daily affairs, like paying bills and receiving mail, and it’s generally the residence used in your government records for things like your income tax, medical services plan, driver's licence and vehicle registration.

To qualify for the home owner grant, your principal residence must be taxed as an improvement.

You must occupy your principal residence when you apply for the home owner grant. However, if you meet certain requirements you may still be able to apply for the grant if you:

Grant Threshold

The grant threshold is the maximum value of an assessed or partitioned property where home owners are eligible to claim the home owner grant.

The grant threshold is $1,525,000. You may be able to claim the full additional grant amount if your property has an assessed or partitioned value of $1,525,000 or less.

If you meet all requirements but your property’s assessed or partitioned value is over $1,525,000, you may qualify for the additional grant at a reduced amount.

The grant is reduced by $5 for each $1,000 of assessed value over $1,525,000. This means properties assessed up to $1,694,000 ($1,734,000 in a northern and rural area) can receive a partial additional grant.

If you own a property with an assessed value of more than $1,525,000 and have an adjusted net income of $32,000 or less, you may qualify for a low income grant supplement for people with disabilities.

You must apply for the home owner grant and the low income grant supplement separately.

If your property has an assessed value of more than $1,694,000 ($1,734,000 in a northern and rural area), then you aren’t eligible for a home owner grant. You may still qualify for a low income grant supplement, even though you aren’t receiving the home owner grant, and can apply for the supplement on its own.

Partitioned Value

Partitioning your property value may enable you to claim the home owner grant if:

  • You previously couldn’t, or could only claim a reduced grant, because of the high assessed value of your property, and
  • Your property consists of your principal residence and at least one separate residence

You may apply to have the assessed value of your property partitioned using the Home Owner Grant Partitioning of Assessed Value Calculation (FIN 91) (PDF).

The partitioned value of a property is the property’s assessed value divided by the number of residences on that property. To qualify, each residence must have cooking, sleeping, bathroom and living room facilities.

Laneway homes and multi-family dwellings like a duplex, triplex and fourplex qualify as separate residences. A suite in your principal residence doesn’t qualify as a separate residence.

Buying or Selling Your Property

If you are buying or selling a property, there are other factors that will determine the amount that you can claim for the home owner grant.

If you purchased your property during the current tax year, you may be eligible for the home owner grant if you meet the following requirements:

  • The previous owner didn’t pay all of the property taxes
  • The previous owner didn’t claim the grant
  • You didn’t receive a grant this year for another home
  • You’re occupying the property when you apply for the grant

The home owner grant that you’re eligible to claim will be applied against only the property taxes that the previous owner didn’t pay. Contact the office that issued the property tax notice for more information on how much you can claim for your grant.


You must apply for the home owner grant each year to receive it. Only one grant can be claimed for a property each year.

If this is your first year applying for your current residence, you must attach certain documents, depending on how you qualify:

  1. If you receive disability assistance, hardship assistance or a supplement under the Employment and Assistance for Persons with Disabilities Act, provide supporting documentation such as a copy of your Confirmation of Assistance from the Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation or the Home Owner Grant Consent for Release of Information (FIN 81) (PDF).

  1. If you’re a person with disabilities but don’t receive provincial assistance, or you live with a spouse or relative with disabilities, and you’ve incurred costs for help with daily living activities or a qualifying modification, attach a Certificate of Health Professional and Property Owner (Form B) (FIN 74) (PDF), completed and signed by you and a health professional. Include original receipts supporting the costs incurred as identified in part B (Question 2) of the form.

You’ll need to re-qualify and provide the above documents if you move to another residence.

Find out when and how to apply for the home owner grant.