Gambling Event Licence Fundraising

Gambling event licences allow eligible organizations to fundraise by holding a single gambling event or a series of events. Gambling events include raffles, bingos, poker, social occasion casinos, and wheels of fortune. Find out about eligibility requirements and how to apply.

Learn more:

B.C. Gaming Licences Going Paperless

The Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch (GPEB) is pleased to announce that applications for licensed charitable gaming are going paperless in December 2018. Technical upgrades will improve service for clients by simplifying the application process.

Starting this December, GPEB will provide new content on our website to support clients, organizations and stakeholders through this transition to a paperless program. GPEB’s licensing team will also be available to assist by phone or email.  

Starting January 1, 2019, all licensed charitable gaming event applications and reports must be filed online through our website.

Paper cheques to accompany applications will continue to be accepted for Class A, B and C licences. Class D applications will continue to accept only credit card payments.

First Time Applying for a Gambling Event Licence?

Most gambling in B.C. requires a licence. Your community group or organization may be eligible to receive a licence to hold a gambling event that earns revenue to benefit important programs and services in your area.

A licence must be applied for in advance of the proposed gambling event. Licensees are responsible for, among other things, following the guidelines and standard procedures related to the gambling event and for using the proceeds to support the eligible programs stated in the licence.


If your group or organization is planning to hold a gambling event for the purpose of raising funds to benefit the broader community or a third party, you must apply for either a Class A, B or D gambling event licence. The class of licence you'll want depends on how your group or organization is structured, how much money you expect to raise, the value of your prizes and the price of your tickets. The following table will help you determine the correct licence for your event.

Determining the Correct Type of Licence for Your Gambling Event

The table below shows the classes of licences available and, for each class, the gambling events that can be offered and the total revenue that may be earned. Most gambling events are available in all licence classes, but there are a few restrictions.

Individual sports teams are invited to apply for a Class D licence. They are not eligible for a Class B licence unless they meet the organizational eligibility criteria outlined in Section 8 of the Class A and B Licence - Guidelines (PDF).

If the game you would like to offer is not included in the table below, the game probably is not permitted in B.C., and therefore no licence is available.

Promotional contests are not considered gambling — the difference being in gambling you pay to play whereas contests are free.


  • The Class C licence, excluded from the table, allows approved community fairs and exhibitions to operate ticket raffles, bingos, wheels of fortune, and limited casinos
  • Liquor, prohibited or restricted firearms as defined in the Firearms Act (Canada), and live animals cannot be offered as prizes
  • Some Class A raffle licensees may be eligible to use computerized or electronic systems to conduct their raffles. See News Item - Jan 25, 2016 – Applications to Hold Computerized Raffles Now Being Accepted for more information
Gambling Category Specific Games and Location Class A
More than $20,000 in gross revenue
Class B
$20,000 or less in gross revenue
Class D
$5,000 or less in gross revenue.
Ticket Raffles Regular raffles, 50/50 draws, meat draws, sports pools, sports player drafts, calendar raffles, payroll raffles, cow pie bingo, New Year's baby, rubber duck races, poker rides, cake walks and other such schemes.

Conducted and managed by the licensee in various locations in the community.
Yes Yes Yes, except for payroll raffles.

Maximum $2 per single ticket, maximum $500 per single prize.
Poker Limited Texas Hold'em poker events.

Conducted and managed by licensee in various locations in the community.
No Yes No
Independent Bingos Regular bingos, combination games, pre-called and odd-even games, progressive prize games and bonus games.

Conducted and managed by the licensee in various locations in the community.
Yes Yes Yes, but no progressive prize or bonus bingos.

Maximum $2 per single ticket, maximum $500 per single prize.
Wheels of Fortune Typical wheel of fortune games: Money Wheel, Crown and Anchor, 7 Under/Over, and Colour Wheel.

Not permitted:
Roulette and Sic Bo.

Conducted and managed by licensees of social occasion casinos and approved community fairs or exhibitions.
Yes Yes No
Social Occasion Casinos Up to 15 games.

Three types of games permitted:
Blackjack, Red Dog and Wheel of Fortune.

Typical wheel of fortune games:
Money Wheel, Crown and Anchor, 7 Under/Over, and Colour Wheel.

Not permitted:
Roulette and Sic Bo.

Small casino-type events conducted and managed in conjunction with a social event (such as a dinner, dance or benefit) and where attendance is restricted to members of the gaming event licensee and their guests.
Yes Yes No

Minors in Liquor Primary Establishments (bars, pubs, etc.)

Effective June 18, 2014 liquor primary establishments in B.C., including those with gambling equipment, are allowed to apply to the Liquor Control and Licensing Branch (LCLB) for the Family Foodservice term and condition to permit minors in their establishments until 10 p.m., if they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. If approved by the LCLB, appropriate signage from the B.C. Lottery Corporation (BCLC) must be placed in the establishment and on gambling machines to inform patrons that minors are not allowed to participate in gambling. BCLC is developing this signage, which is expected to be in all bars and pubs that offer lottery products by the end of August, 2014.

In addition to lottery products, liquor primary establishments are permitted to host gambling events operated by a community group or organization licensed by the Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch (GPEB) to earn revenue to benefit its programs or services. Such events include ticket raffles, poker events, and independent bingos. Under s. 38 of the Gaming Control Regulation, minors are permitted at licensed bingo events or licensed ticket raffles if they are under the supervision of their parent or guardian or they are an employee carrying out the duties of their employment. Minors are not permitted to be present at licensed charitable poker events.

Establishments that have occasional licensed poker events may qualify for the Family Foodservice term and condition, but they may only hold the event:

  • After 10 pm OR
  • Before 10 pm as long as appropriate signage is posted prohibiting minors for the duration of the event.

For more information on the Liquor Control and Licensing Branch policy directive allowing minors, see: Liquor Control and Licensing Branch Policy Directive No: 14 - 13

How to Apply & Related Resources (guidelines, conditions, forms, etc.)

Once you've decided on the types of games you want to offer and their expected gross revenue, please visit the appropriate link below for complete application information and resources (how to apply, pre-application information, etc.).

Documents and forms for gambling event licences are also available on the Documents & Forms page.

Application Status & Questions

To check the status of an application, please see the Application Status Reports. If you have questions about your application you can phone or send an email, see Questions & Contact Information.