Who is the course for?

Anyone who is going through the process of separation or divorce will benefit from participating in the course. You are making a major change in your life. Separation and divorce is difficult for you and for your children.

In many larger communities you must complete Parenting After Separation before you can go to the provincial court to get or change a child support order or an order about parenting arrangements, contact or support.

If you and your spouse have come to an agreement without going to court, you do not have to complete Parenting After Separation but you are welcome to do so.

Certificate of Attendance

Once you have completed Parenting After Separation, you’ll receive a Certificate of Attendance. (Be sure to register for the course to receive your certificate.)

If you live in a community where you must complete Parenting After Separation, you must file your certificate with the court registry before they’ll set a first appearance date.

Both you and your spouse must attend the course by the first appearance date, unless you have an official exemption. For information about exemptions, see Do I have to take Parenting After Separation?

Parenting After Separation and Parenting After Separation for Indigenous Families are both acceptable courses for court requirements.

Note: Parents may go to either the provincial court or the supreme court for an order. To determine which court you should go to, we recommend you talk to a lawyer. A family justice counsellor can also provide you with information about the courts. You can find out more about the responsibilities of each court in Going to Court.

Communities Where Parents Must Complete a Parenting After Separation Course

You must take a Parenting After Separation course in:

  • Abbotsford
  • Campbell River
  • Chilliwack
  • Courtenay
  • Kamloops
  • Kelowna
  • Nanaimo
  • New Westminster
  • North Vancouver
  • Penticton
  • Port Coquitlam
  • Prince George
  • Richmond
  • Surrey
  • Vancouver
  • Vernon
  • Victoria

If you are going to supreme court, the judge may suggest you complete a Parenting After Separation course but it isn’t mandatory

Parenting After Separation courses are free.