B.C. specific code changes are typically open to public review before they are finalized. Minor changes or editorial corrections are not publicly reviewed. Changes adopted from National Codes are open to public review through the Codes Canada public review process.
There are no reviews taking place at this time.
British Columbia Building Code 2018 Revision 2
June 28, 2019 - August 23, 2019 | Review Now Closed
The Building and Safety Standards Branch invited code users, industry, and partners to participate in a public review to provide feedback on proposed changes to the BC Code.
- Design and Construction of Secondary Suites (PDF)
- BC Energy Step Code for Large Buildings in Cold Climates and Public Sector Buildings (PDF)
- Visit www.energystepcode.ca/news for information about the final BCBC 2018 Revision 2 changes for these buildings
- Lighting of Recycling and Garbage Rooms (PDF)
- New - Carbon Monoxide Detectors and Alarms (PDF)
- New - Roof-top Enclosures and Roof-top Occupancy (PDF)
The Building and Safety Standards Branch also considered possible amendments to the BC Energy Step Code targets for houses and small residential buildings, with a focus on climate zones 5 and 6 (including Kelowna, Kamloops, and Prince George). These possible changes were still in development and did not form part of this public review.
- Visit the BC Energy Step Code (external link) for information about the final BCBC 2018 Revision 2 changes for houses and small residential buildings
In addition to the above noted changes, mid-cycle changes included national revisions as well as some editorial corrections. For information about revisions to the National Code, please visit Codes Canada’s website (external link).
British Columbia Building Code 2018 Revision 1
December 12, 2017 - February 28, 2018 | Review Now Closed
The Building and Safety Standards Branch conducted a public review to seek feedback on the following proposed changes for the next edition of the BC Codes. Code users and stakeholders will be notified when the code is adopted and the effective date has been confirmed.
BC Building Code
- Accessibility (PDF)
Appendix 1 - Track Changes (PDF)
Appendix 2 - Where to Find BC Specific Provisions by Code Reference (PDF)
- Area Calculation of Exposing Building Face (PDF)
- Asbestos (PDF)
- Energy Efficiency Standards (PDF)
- Exit Signs (PDF)
- Factory-Constructed Buildings (PDF)
- Fenestration (PDF)
- Heritage Buildings (PDF)
- Mid-Rise Combustible Construction (PDF)
- Outdoor Design Conditions and Air Cleaning (PDF)
- Radon (PDF)
- Stairs - Dimensions of Tapered Treads (PDF)
- Stairs - Handrails in Curved Stairs (PDF)
- Stairs - No Spiral Stairs (PDF)
British Columbia Building Code 2012 Revision
Doors, Windows and Skylights
June 4 – 25, 2015 | Review Now Closed
The 2012 BC Building Code introduced new requirements for manufactured and pre-assembled fenestration products - meaning doors, windows and skylights. In consultation with the fenestration industry and local governments, the Province proposed changes due to some key implementation issues. The consultation asked for feedback on the proposed changes.
Refer to BC Building Code Revision 8 and BC Building Code Revision 9 for summaries of the changes.
The content on this page was updated by the Province of British Columbia on February 9, 2021.