Rural Family Medicine Enhanced Surgical Skills OB Locum Program
NEW! As of July 1, 2023 - Locum support for family practice physicians who provide Obstetrical surgical services in RSA communities
Rural Family Medicine Enhanced Surgical Skills OB Locum (RESSO) Program help eligible rural family practice physicians, who provide eligible core surgical obstetric services, secure subsidized periods of leave from their practices for purposes such as Continuing Medical Education (CME) and vacation.
Eligible physicians will be credentialed by their respective health authority as “FP Enhanced Surgical Skills” with a sub-category specific to “Obstetrics”, and that there be no more than seven credentialed physicians in the community. The community must not be eligible for the RGPLP program.
Communities may be eligible for up to 35 days of locum coverage per rural FP physician with surgical obstetrical skills, per fiscal year. Locum assignments must be a minimum of 2 days in duration and locums will be paid a guaranteed minimum daily rate of $1,000 plus travel time honorarium.
This Program will be implemented as a pilot program until March 31, 2025.
Locums for Rural BC
Locums for Rural BC provide the administrative services for the Rural Family Medicine Enhanced Surgical Skills OB Locum (RESSO) Program.
Locums for Rural BC – Services
- Assist host physicians with requests for locum assistance
- Assist locum physicians in completing the application process
- Collaborates with health authorities in facilitating hospital privileges for locum physicians
- Makes all travel arrangements for flight, car rental and accommodations
- Provides an interactive website where host physician can post locum opportunities and where locum physicians can review and request placement.
- Obtains confidential feedback from both locums and host physicians upon completion of assignment.
For information on eligibility, services, or if you are interested in providing locum services in rural B.C.,please visit Locums for Rural BC Website and the Rural Family Medicine Enhanced Surgical Skills OB Locum Program (PDF, 252KB) policy document.
For inquiries, please contact:
Locums for Rural BC
300 – 2889 East 12th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5M 4T5
Tel: 1 877 357-4757
Fax: 1 877 387-4757