Early Learning and Child Care Engagement
British Columbia is committed to the well-being, care, and education of children. That’s why we’re working towards a future where child care is a core service available to every family that wants it, when they need it, at a price they can afford.
The vision for the Province's 10-year ChildCareBC plan is for all children and families to benefit from child care that is:
- Open to every child and every family with inclusive care for children up to and including age 12, and higher where needed
- The best start delivered by highly qualified professionals who have the training, knowledge, skills and abilities to deliver high-quality, culturally safe and enriching settings aligned with B.C.’s Early Learning Framework and ECE Code of Ethics
- Affordable and well supported so that families pay no more than $10/day per child, or less for lower-income families, for licensed care
- Available and reliable with staff that receive appropriate pay and recognition to deliver a service that families, communities and employers can depend on
- Responsive and respectful to Indigenous jurisdiction over child care for Indigenous children and families
- Accessible and inclusive to children of all backgrounds and abilities
We want to hear from you
As the Province advances its ChildCareBC Plan, the Ministry of Education and Child Care wants to hear from a broad range of child care partners – from child care providers, community service partners, Indigenous governing bodies, parent organizations, school districts and child care advocates. We value your input and would like to know what you think is most critical as we continue to evolve early learning and child care in British Columbia.
Ways to participate
Subscribe (on the top right-hand corner of this page or at the bottom of the page on mobile devices) to be notified of upcoming participation opportunities.
Engagements to date
In December 2021 we began a series of activities to hear directly from B.C.’s child care partners. Below is a summary of the engagements completed so far.
1. ChildCareBC Virtual Information Session
What was it? Facilitated webinar for education and child care partners with information sharing, panel discussion, Q&A session, and electronic input into future sessions.
When was it? December 1, 2021
View the full recording of the ChildCareBC Information Session
View the full ChildCareBC Information Session transcript (PDF)
- Working together to deliver child care and early learning
- Making child care culturally safe and inclusive of all children
- Funding child care as a core service families can rely on
- Supporting early childhood professionals who support families
- Creating more child care spaces
- Question and Answer Panel Discussion
Detailed information and FAQs by topic
2. Self-paced feedback form
What was it? An opportunity for early learning and child care partners to provide self-paced feedback on a range of topics in a way that works best for their busy schedules.
When was it? The form was available from December 2, 2021 to March 17, 2022
3. Virtual topic-specific workshops
What was it? A series of interactive, facilitated sessions focused on a single topic, where partners provided feedback on questions using an interactive whiteboard, chat features and live discussions.
When was it? Ten focus groups, two per topic, occurred between March 1-16, 2022.
What will we do with the feedback you provide?
We value your input. Feedback collected throughout this engagement will be used to support decision-making on the future of early learning and child care in B.C. Any follow-up information, including summaries and results of consultation, will be shared on this page.