Register as an Employer of Temporary Foreign Workers

Register to hire foreign workers

Step 1: Register with the provincial government

Starting in the spring of 2020, employers who hire a temporary foreign worker (TFW) will need to register with the provincial government. The registration process and requirements for employers are outlined in the Temporary Foreign Worker Protection Act.

Any person or organization who wants to hire a temporary foreign worker will need to have a provincial Certificate of Registration. This includes individuals who hire domestic workers like a nanny or caregiver.

There will be no fee to register. From this website, employers will be able to complete their registration online by providing:

  • An email address
  • Information about the employer, including business name, address and contact information
  • Name and contact information for the business owner, directors or partners
  • The industry the business operates in and a description of main activities or services offered
  • An overview of employees – how many employees there are, the type of work they do, as well as the duties of temporary foreign workers
  • Locations where temporary foreign workers will be employed

Step 2: Get permission from the federal government

Complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment with the federal government to confirm there is a need for a temporary worker.

Step 3: Know the rules and best practices for employers

Employers who have a provincial Certificate of Registration agree to uphold their obligations required by law (PDF). An employer may lose their certificate if they break the law, or if they are dishonest or unfair.

Employers do not:

  • Charge temporary foreign workers fees for employment
  • Retain temporary foreign worker passports or official documents
  • Misrepresent employment opportunities
  • Refuse to pay a fair wage
  • Abuse or violate the personal rights of temporary foreign workers

Keep records related to recruitment services you received or the hiring of a temporary foreign worker for four years, including:

  • Contracts
  • Fees and expenses
  • The name, address and work locations of temporary foreign workers
  • Approval from the Government of Canada to recruit and hire a temporary foreign worker
  • Any payroll records associated with temporary foreign workers

Offer support to help new employees be successful in their new position – for example:

  • Make sure they're properly certified or licensed for the job they're doing
  • Set-up consistent practices for recruiting, orienting and training

Learn more about the Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) Program:


Email the Temporary Foreign Worker Protection Unit (TFWPU) for more info: