Government of B.C.

Before you start

Make sure you meet the federal requirements to hire foreign workers.

You'll need to tell us:

  • The legal name, address, email and phone number of your business
  • The name, email and phone number for each business owner, director or partner
  • The name, email and phone number for at least one contact person (this can be one of the above people)
  • The address of each work location
  • The business's industry type and the services it performs

You'll also be asked:

  • How many foreign workers you intend to employ within the next 12 months
  • Where you intend to recruit foreign workers from
  • If you're planning on providing accommodation to foreign workers you hire

If you have a WorkSafeBC registration number, include it on the form and upload a clearance letter.


The B.C. government keeps a public registry of employers that are registered to hire foreign workers. The registry lists each employer's name, the date they were registered as an employer and when their registration expires.

If you are renewing your registration, you will need to apply through this same process.​

Who needs to register?

You need to register if you intend to hire a temporary worker through most federal foreign worker programs:

You do not need to register if you're an excluded employer or you

If you're unsure, contact the Compliance and TFW Team.


Employers in B.C. need a certificate of registration before they can hire temporary foreign workers.

Apply for or renew a certificate of registration

After you register, you'll receive a confirmation email with your application details. You may be contacted as part of the application review process.

Applications can be reviewed

Applications may be reviewed based on factors such as:

Applications can be refused

Based on the review process, an application can be refused if an applicant:

  • Provides incomplete, false, misleading or inaccurate information
  • Has not followed provincial or federal laws
  • Does not conduct business legally, honestly, with integrity or in the interest of the public

If an application is refused, you can submit a request for reconsideration.

Get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

After you receive a certificate of registration, you can get an LMIA from the federal government. 

Next Steps

Know your obligations

Employers of foreign workers in B.C. need to:

Keep accurate records

Employers must have a written contract with each temporary foreign worker. If a recruiter was used to hire the worker, keep a copy of the recruiter's contract as well.

Records must be kept in B.C. for at least four years. They must be made available for inspection upon request.

Employers must keep all records related to recruiting and hiring temporary foreign workers:

  • Signed contracts
  • Fees and expenses related to recruitment and hiring
  • The name, address and work location of each worker
  • Approval from the federal government to recruit and hire temporary foreign workers
  • All payroll records

Renew your certificate

Your certificate of registration may be issued for up to three years. The Director of Employment Standards has discretion over the period of time a certificate of registration remains valid.

You will need to apply through this same process to renew your certificate before it expires.​ If you hire additional temporary foreign workers after your certificate expires, we may not renew your certificate. It's against the law to hire a foreign worker with an expired certificate of registration. 


Contact Employment Standards

The Compliance and TFW Team administers the Temporary Foreign Worker Protection Act and Regulation.

By email

Ask a question or get confidential support about temporary foreign workers in B.C.

Email us:

By phone

Someone can help you in the language of your choice. Service is available Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 5 pm Pacific Time.

Call us toll-free: 1-833-236-3700

Outside of Canada or the U.S.A.: 1-604-660-2421

Quick question?

Text us to get a quick answer about temporary foreign workers in B.C.

Text us: 604-660-2421

Do not provide personal information like your birth date. Standard message and data rates may apply.