BC Ideas Exchange Webinar Series
Our webinars offer a peer-to-peer space to share knowledge, opportunities, successful practices, tools and resources for local economic development in B.C.
- Browse our library of recorded webinars.
What to Expect
BC Ideas Exchange webinars are an interactive place to share economic development knowledge, successful practices, tools and resources. The webinars are hosted through GoToWebinar and include a live presentation and an opportunity for people to ask questions.
We partner with speakers from a variety of economic development backgrounds to share:
- Successful economic development stories happening in B.C.
- New programs and initiatives supporting economic development in B.C.
- Economic development trends in B.C.
- The latest economic development tools and resources
The views, thoughts and opinions expressed on BC Ideas Exchange Webinars are those of the presenters and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Province of BC.
The BC Ideas Exchange webinars are designed for:
- Local government staff and elected officials
- First Nations leaders, councils and elders
- Economic development organization leadership and staff
- Provincial government staff
- Anyone interested in helping to realize their community's economic development potential
Communities in B.C. are growing their skills and knowledge by using tools and resources to reach their goals. This section shares stories and resources to help communities create plans and develop strategies, measure results, collaborate, access funding and more.
Watch Ride-Hailing: What Can Local Governments Expect? | Oct 10, 2019
- Ride-Hailing presentation slides (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- Free Trade Agreement presentation slides (PDF, 1.6MB)
- 2019 Capital Projects presentation slides (PDF, 2MB)
- Cannabis Industry presentation slides (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch presentation slides (PDF, 3.5MB)
Watch Strategic Planning for Economic Development | Dec 4, 2018
Watch Rural Dividend Program: 2018 Intake Info Session | July 17, 2018
Watch Economic Reconciliation: Charting the Pathway | June 7, 2018
Watch Crowdfunding for Economic Development | May 3, 2018
Watch BC Economic Atlas: New features and functionality | Nov 2, 2017
Watch Economic Development 101 | Mar 30, 2017
Watch Economic Development Disaster Planning and Recovery | Mar 21, 2017
Watch Economic Development 101 | Mar 9, 2017
Watch the BC Rural Dividend Fund: Q&A II | Sept 15, 2016
Watch the BC Rural Dividend Fund: Q&A | May 17, 2016
Watch British Columbia Economic Atlas | May 28, 2015
Community economic development is a process of improving quality of life for the whole community. This section shares stories of community projects based on the needs of all people that are building economies and creating long-term jobs.
Watch Building Resilience | Apr 4, 2019
- Building Resilience presentation slides (PDF, 3.6 MB)
Watch Social Enterprises | Oct 16, 2018
Watch The Power of Buying Local | Apr 26, 2016
Watch Social Enterprise and Enterprising Non-Profits | June 11, 2015
Land use planning can improve the economy of a community and create a clear path forward for developing community amenities. Some examples of this are building recreation centres or transportation networks. This section shares stories of land development work around B.C. and gives you tools to use in your community.
- Economic Development Tools for Local Government presentation slides (1 MB)
- The Town of Gibsons presentation slides (496.7 KB)
Watch The More We Get Together: Innovation Spaces | Apr 12, 2018
Watch Save Money by Connecting Asset Management to Land Use | Nov 24, 2016
Watch Development Approvals Made Easy | Oct 29, 2015
Watch Secondary Suites: What Works, What Doesn't? | Jan 30, 2014
Where Drivers Affecting Housing Affordability | Oct 23, 2013
Indigenous organizations and communities are finding unique partnerships around B.C. to grow their economies. Creativity and collaboration are key to their success. This section shares stories and resources to support First Nations and Indigenous communities reach their economic development goals.
- First Nations Tax Commission presentation slides (PDF 807.9 KB)
- Backgrounder: First Nation Taxation, the First Nations Tax Commission, and the First Nations Fiscal Management Act (PDF 117 KB)
- Closing the Indigenous Systemic Gaps with a First Nations Fiscal Management Act (FMA) Indigenous Recovery Strategy (PDF 184 KB)
Watch Economic Reconciliation: Charting the Pathway | June 7, 2018
Local economic development and promotion go hand in hand. Investment attraction, tourism marketing, and resident attraction are important for a successful economy. In this section you can learn how to promote your community from others who’ve had success.
- DestinationBC Disaster Recovery Research presentation slides (PDF, 5MB)
- BCEDA Making Resilience and Recovery the New Norm presentation slides (PDF, 3MB)
- Community Futures Wildfire Business Transition Project presentation slides (PPT, 500KB)
Building community through Social Media | Mar 31, 2016
A strong local economy needs a dynamic and growing business sector. This section shares stories and resources to support businesses and entrepreneurs in your community.
- Venture Capital Tax Program presentation slides (PDF, 483 KB)
- Cascadia Seaweed presentation slides (PDF, 773 KB)
- Support Local BC presentation slides (PDF, 513 KB)
- City of Prince Rupert presentation slides (PDF, 572 KB)
- Cannabis Legalization & Regulation Secretariat presentation slides (PDF 254.9 KB)
- Community Futures Cannabis Business 101 presentation slides (PDF 882 KB)
- Construction of GPP Compliant Propagation Room presentation slides (PDF 4 MB)
- Perimeter Fence Security Features presentation slides (PDF 12.5 MB)
Watch Accessing Capital in Small Communities: Debt Capital | Jun 20, 2019
- Accessing Debt Capital presentation slides (PPT, 900KB)
Watch Accessing Capital in Small Communities: Equity Capital | Mar 21, 2019
- Equity Capital presentation slides (PPT, 1.7)
- Employee Share Ownership Program Infographic (PDF, 345KB)
- Small Business Tax Credit Infographic (PDF, 2.8MB)
Watch Supporting Business Succession in Your Community | Nov 6, 2018
Watch Business Retention and Expansion Basics | Mar 13, 2017
Watch Growing Export Markets in Agrifoods Manufacturing | June 25, 2015
Watch Resources from Small Business BC | Apr 23, 2015
The tech sector is growing in B.C. and innovative uses of technology are helping to breathe new life into many industries. This section shares stories and resources to support the growth of technology and innovation in your community.
Watch Community Readiness for Rural Connectivity | Sept 27, 2018 (re-recorded Oct 5, 2018)
Watch TechDev101: Innovation Ecosystem Canvas | June 19, 2018
Watch Geothermal: Heating up Rural Economic Development | Feb 28, 2017
Watch Technology: The BC Venture Acceleration Program | Nov 13, 2014
Watch Green Energy as an Economic Development Tool | Feb 20, 2014
Communities around B.C. are trying different ways to help businesses meet their workforce needs. In this section, see how communities are supporting workers by creating partnerships, supporting skills development, building immigration programs, increasing job access, and more.
Explore all workforce development webinars with descriptions