Pathway to Teacher Education Scholarship
Awards year 2020: vouchers have been mailed to recipients of the 2020 Pathway to Teacher Education Scholarship. Thank you to all applicants and best wishes for success in post‑secondary study.
Awards year 2021: online applications are due at 11:59pm PST on February 15, 2021. To prepare, please see details below.
The Pathway to Teacher Education scholarship is awarded to 20 outstanding high school graduates who have demonstrated a commitment to and aptitude for a career in K–12 teaching.
Recipients receive a $5,000 scholarship voucher that they can redeem with the Ministry of Education after they are attending an approved K–12 teacher education program at one of B.C.’s nine Faculties of Education.
Students have seven years to redeem their Pathway to Teacher Education scholarship vouchers; an expiry date is printed on each voucher and extensions are not possible.
- February 15, 2021: applications due by 11:59pm PST
- Early June 2021: conditional recipients and their schools notified by email
- September 2021: conditional recipients checked against eligibility requirements
- Fall 2021: paper scholarship vouchers mailed to confirmed recipients
Students selected as conditional recipients of the Pathway to Teacher Education scholarship must meet the following requirements by August 31 of their graduating year to be confirmed as a recipient and receive their scholarship voucher:
- meet basic eligibility requirements;
- be eligible for a B.C. Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma);
- fulfill the requirements of the B.C. Graduation Program;
- be graduating in the same year the scholarship is awarded; and
- have the following final marks.
- Minimum “B” average in grades 11 and 12 courses required for graduation
- Minimum "B" (73% or above) in Language Arts 12
- Minimum “B” average, no more than one "C+" (67% or above), and no marks lower than “C+” in courses that fulfill graduation requirements for Science 11 or 12, Math 11, and Social Studies 11 or 12
Note: students may apply for both the Pathway to Teacher Education scholarship and the BC Excellence scholarship but can be awarded only one.
How applications are evaluated
- Written statements are assessed by teams of B.C. teachers using the marking guidelines
- A subset of candidates is shortlisted
- The resume packages for these students are assessed by the scholarship committee, which includes B.C. teachers, using the marking guidelines
- Twenty candidates are named as conditional recipients
Students are encouraged to get organized well before the application deadline of 11:59pm PST on February 15, 2021.
- Record the key dates noted above
- Plan to meet all eligibility requirements
- Understand that the online application must be completed in one session because it cannot be saved and completed later; preview the online application and follow the instructions to prepare information offline
- Pathway to Teacher Education scholarship application
- Students are encouraged to inform their high schools of any address changes. In the fall, the Ministry mails paper scholarship vouchers to recipients using the home addresses reported by schools.
Please contact the Provincial Scholarships Program team: firstname.lastname@example.org.