Pathway to Teacher Education Scholarship
Awards year 2022: The 2022 Pathway to Teacher Education scholarship application deadline has now passed. Only conditional recipients will be contacted (in June). Thank you to all applicants and best wishes for success in your post-secondary studies.
Awards year 2023: Online applications for the 2023 Pathway to Teacher Education will open in the late Fall 2022. Those applications will be due in February 2023. Please review this page for information regarding the requirements, and for resources, such as a sample application.
Last updated: February 15, 2022
On this page:
The Pathway to Teacher Education Scholarship is awarded to 20 outstanding high school graduates who have demonstrated a commitment to and aptitude for a career in K–12 teaching.
Successful recipients receive a $5,000 scholarship voucher from the Ministry of Education and Child Care that they can use to be reimbursed for tuition paid after they are attending an approved K–12 teacher education program in B.C.
Students have seven years to redeem their Pathway to Teacher Education scholarship vouchers; an expiry date is printed on each voucher and extensions are not possible.
- Early June 2022: conditional recipients and their schools notified by email
- September 2022: conditional recipients checked against eligibility requirements
- October 2022: paper scholarship vouchers mailed to confirmed recipients
- Late Fall 2022: online applications for awards year 2023 open
- February 2023: online applications for awards year 2023 due
Students selected as conditional recipients of the Pathway to Teacher Education scholarship must meet the following requirements by August 31 of their graduating year to be confirmed as a recipient and receive their scholarship voucher:
- meet core eligibility requirements;
- be eligible for a B.C. Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma);
- fulfill the requirements of the B.C. Graduation Program; and,
- have the following final marks.
- Minimum “B” average in grades 11 and 12 courses required for graduation
- Minimum "B" (73% or above) in Language Arts 12
- Minimum “B” average, no more than one "C+" (67% or above), and no marks lower than “C+” in courses that fulfill graduation requirements for Science 11 or 12, Math 11, and Social Studies 11 or 12
Note: students may apply for both the Pathway to Teacher Education scholarship and the BC Excellence scholarship but can be awarded only one.
- Written statements are assessed by a team of B.C. teachers using the marking guidelines
- A subset of approximately 40 candidates is shortlisted
- The resume packages for those shortlisted candidates are assessed by a different committee of B.C. teachers, using the same marking guidelines
- Twenty candidates are named as conditional recipients
Students interested in applying for the 2023 awards year are encouraged to get organized well before applications are due in February 2023.
- Check out a sample of the 2022 Pathway to Teacher Education application (PDF)
- Review the required information you will need to submit
- Written statement
- The written statement is worth 60% in the overall assessment of the application; all written statements are assessed, and those assessments are used to shortlist applications
- Resume in mandatory format
- Resumes are worth 40% in the overall assessment of the application; they are only reviewed for those applications that are shortlisted
- Reference letters (2)
- One community-related and one school-related
- The marking team does not mark reference letters but does consider them when scoring resumes
- Written statement
- Look for the online application to open in late Fall 2022
- Plan to meet all eligibility requirements
Please contact the Provincial Scholarships Program team: email@example.com.