BC Excellence Scholarships
Awards year 2021: conditional recipients of the 2021 BC Excellence scholarship have been informed; notifications are only sent to selected students. Thank you to all applicants.
Awards year 2022: online applications will open late fall 2021 and will be due February 2022. To start preparing, please see details below.
The BC Excellence scholarship is awarded to 55 well-rounded high school graduates who have demonstrated service and leadership, both at school and in their communities, and who show aptitude for and commitment to their chosen career paths.
Recipients receive a $5,000 scholarship voucher that they can use to be reimbursed by the Ministry of Education for tuition paid after they are attending a designated post-secondary institution or B.C. authorized trades training provider.
Students have five years to redeem their BC Excellence scholarship vouchers; an expiry date is printed on each voucher and extensions are not possible.
- Early June 2021: conditional recipients and their schools notified by email
- September 2021: conditional recipients checked against eligibility requirements
- October 2021: paper scholarship vouchers mailed to confirmed recipients
- Late Fall 2021: online applications for awards year 2022 open
- February 2022: online applications for awards year 2022 due
Students selected as conditional recipients of the BC Excellence scholarship must meet the following requirements by August 31 of their graduating year to be confirmed as a recipient and receive their scholarship voucher:
- meet core eligibility requirements;
- be eligible for a B.C. Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma);
- fulfill the requirements of the B.C. Graduation Program;
- be graduating (between September 1 and August 31) during the same year the scholarship is awarded; and
- have the following final marks
- Minimum “B” average in grades 11 and 12 courses required for graduation
- Minimum "B" (73% or above) in Language Arts 12
- Minimum “B” average, no more than one "C+" (67% or above), and no marks lower than “C+” in courses that fulfill graduation requirements for Science 11 or 12, Math 11, and Social Studies 11 or 12
Note: students may apply for both the BC Excellence scholarship and the Pathway to Teacher Education scholarship but they can only be awarded one.
How applications are evaluated
- Written statements are assessed by teams of B.C. teachers using the marking guidelines
- A subset of approximately 80 candidates is shortlisted
- The resume packages for those candidates are assessed by the scholarship committee, which includes B.C. teachers, using the marking guidelines
- Fifty-five candidates are named as conditional recipients
Students interested in applying for the 2022 awards year are encouraged to get organized well before applications are due in February 2022.
- Record the key dates noted above
- Plan to meet all eligibility requirements
- Review sample BC Excellence application (PDF)
- Understand students must be nominated by their secondary school to qualify for this scholarship and each school may nominate one student only
- Look for the online applications to open in late Fall 2021
Please contact the Provincial Scholarships Program team: email@example.com.