Searching for opportunities
Learn how you can find and apply for jobs in the BC Public Service. There are plenty of options for existing employees, external applicants and those looking for executive opportunities.
Current job postings
Use the links below to search for jobs in the BC Public Service:
On this page
- Internal applicants unable to access internal postings
- RMS quick tips
- Video tutorial topics
- About job postings
If you're an internal applicant who cannot access internal postings listed in the recruitment management system (RMS), please review Internal Applicants Who Cannot Access Internal Postings (PDF, 249KB) to learn more.
Examples of employees unable to access internal postings include:
- Auxiliary employees on layoff with recall rights
- Employees on leave (for example: maternity leave, LTD or pending LTD, deferred salary leave, etc.)
- Former employees (for example: interns, etc.) who have in-service status under collective agreement provisions for a specified time
- Eligible employees who work for an agency, board or commission that does not use IDIR authentication (for example: liquor distribution branch)
To search for job opportunities, create an account or apply for a job and accept a job offer, use the Job Seekers Quick Reference Guide (DOCX, 1.5MB) or review the topics below.
Log into your RMS account.
In the Career Centre > Jobs Search > Search Jobs section, you can search for jobs based on various search criteria:
- To search for jobs, enter 'Keywords' and/or select from the drop-down menu displayed in the search form
- Select the 'Search' button
- Select 'Reset' to remove any search criteria entered
- Use 'Advanced Search' to provide more fields in the search form
To view all jobs posted, you can either select the 'Search' button on the search form without entering any criteria, or click on the 'View All Jobs' option.
- Search by job title (for example: band 4, CLK R9, court clerk)
- Search by complete word(s). Partial word and wildcard searches are not supported (for example: if you're looking for a court clerk job, typing 'cler' or 'cler*' will not produce search results)
- Use 'At Least One of the Following' for a broader search
- Ministry name searches cannot be completed for multiple ministry names
- Type a letter to display the ministry name in the drop-down menu
- Type a letter multiple times to move to the next item in the drop-down menu (for example: select 'M' multiple times to display the next name starting with 'M' in the drop-down menu)
- Category search: you can search for single and multiple job categories (for example: leadership and management, finance)
- Work option search: set up a separate job search notification for each category
- When searching for remote jobs, your search notification should list the remote category with no location identified
- When searching for hybrid jobs, your search notification should list the hybrid category and the community / communities nearest to where you would like to work
- Location search: you can search for single and multiple locations
- Unions search: search for jobs by single and multiple unions and professional associations
- Close date search: search for jobs closing on a specific date
For multiple selection:
- For a PC: hold down the CTRL key and move the mouse over the desired options in the list box to highlight them
- For a Mac: hold down the Command key to perform this action
- Select 'Reset' to remove all search criteria entered
- Save search criteria as a 'Notification' to receive email notifications about jobs
A job search notification saves your job searches and automatically emails you when a new job is posted or updated on our website.
To create a job search notification, first create an account. You can create multiple job search notifications, make the notification active, or delete a job search notification.
Notifications are created by saving the criteria from your job search.
At the bottom of the search results page is a button to 'Save Search' as a notification.
On the next screen displayed, enter a 'Search Notification Name' and make the notification active. The notifications you create will show in the 'Search Notifications' listing.
You can view your job search notifications in the Career Centre > Job Search Notification page.
There you'll find:
- The notification's name
- Delivery method
- Delivery frequency
- Next run date
- Date created
You can select the 'Notification Name' to view the search criteria.
Use the icons in the 'Actions' column to perform the following:
- Run notification manually: allows you to run your notification manually, view the posting open and close dates, ministry name, union and location
- Deactivate/activate: an open lock symbol shows the notification is active and a closed lock symbol shows the notification has been deactivated. Select the icon to change the status
- Delete: allows you to delete the notification
A search notification cannot be edited once it's created. You can delete the notification and create a new notification with different search criteria.
When a job matches your search notification criteria, you'll receive an email notification that displays any new advertised jobs. The email includes the posting title, career level (classification), date needed and hires needed. We cannot customize the information displayed in the email. Run the notification manually to view the ministry, location and posting dates.
To access internal job postings, you must have an IDIR.
Log into your RMS account before you select the job link in the email notification.
Once you're logged in, select the job title link in the email to view the job posting details, including ministry name, location, union and posting close date.
When you run the job search notification manually, the results include:
- Ministry name
- Open and close date
To run the notification manually:
- Log into your RMS account
- Select Career Centre > Job Search > Job Search Notifications (page with current notifications will display)
- Select the 'Play Button' in the 'Actions' column to run the notification manually
- The results will display the jobs based on your search criteria, including ministry/organization, requisition number, job title, union, location, date opened, date closed
- To view the job posting and to apply, select the job title
All of our job postings include details about the job and a link to a job profile.
To view job details, click on the job title in the posting.
The job requirements section will outline the qualifications for the position.
Review the following for more about the hiring process:
- For information on applying, view the hiring process for applicants
- For information on the ministry or organization, review the provincial government ministry and organization listings
- For additional information about the job, reach out to the contact name listed in the posting
- Before you apply for a position, review the application requirements and highlight your education and experience related to the opportunity