When an employee is required to move, either at their ministry’s request or because they’ve won a position in another location, financial assistance may be available:

  • Up to five days paid leave plus travel time to find your new home
  • The cost of travel expenses for you and your spouse on your initial house-hunting trip
  • Moving of household goods and effects, mobile homes and vehicles
  • Incidental expenses on relocation
  • Real estate and legal fees

Relocation assistance is provided in accordance with Human Resources Policy 15 - Relocation and the contractual provisions and terms and conditions referred to in the policy.

Questions about the interpretation and application of this policy should be directed to AskMyHR. Questions that are financial in nature should be directed to the hiring manager and/or ministry financial staff.

Once relocation has been approved, Employee Household Relocation Services will

  • Provide information about the relocation process and what to expect
  • Prepare an estimate for the relocation of the household goods
  • Manage the move process
  • Intercede with the moving firm on your behalf should difficulties arise
  • Perform a quality of service follow-up when the move is complete

For hiring managers dealing with relocation, see the sidebar for instructions on completing the Employee Move Authorization (PDF, 311KB) form and next steps. 

Hiring managers also need to ensure the Relocation Assistance and/or Househunting Expense Report and Assignment of Wages Agreement (PDF, 97KB) form are completed by the employee. 

Employees requesting a transfer from one location to another are responsible to cover all travel and living expenses incurred. Employees who were requested to move to a new location may be eligible for financial assistance to relocate again upon retirement.

Refer to your respective collective agreement or terms and conditions of employment for information about reimbursements and allowances for moving.

Relocation for New to Government Employees

Brand new to government employees who are hired for a position that requires they live in another area may receive relocation assistance if approved by the hiring ministry. New bargaining unit employees may receive a lump sum payment and new excluded employees may receive some relocation benefits, at the discretion and approval of the hiring ministry.  Please refer to HR Policy 15 for further information.

Assistance in the interpretation and application of provisions related to relocation for new government employees is also available by contacting AskMyHR. Questions about the financial assistance should be directed to the hiring manager and/or ministry financial staff.

Relocation Allowance

A new or existing employee receiving relocation allowance who leaves their position within two years is required to repay the relocation costs on a pro-rata basis.

Relocation at Time of Retirement

If you were relocated either by your ministry or through competition to an isolated location and you provide more than six-months’ notice before retiring, we’ll pay the cost of moving your household goods and effects.

Here’s what you need to know:

  • You must have served a minimum of three years in the isolated location
  • You must move to another community in the province within three months of the month in which you leave the public service

Relocating an Employee

Are you a manager who

  • Has hired a new employee who is relocating?
  • Is relocating an existing employee?
  • Is relocating a retiring employee?

Start the process by contacting Employee Household Relocation Services. They manage the relocation of employee household goods anywhere within the province, across Canada or from any international location.

More information on employee relocation can be found in the Core Policy and Procedures Manual. Questions about the interpretation and application of this Policy can be directed to AskMyHR. Questions that are financial in nature can be directed to ministry financial staff.