1947: Prince George Women's Jail
The Prince George Women’s Jail opened in August 1947 in a former army detention barracks to alleviate overcrowding in the Oakalla Women’s Unit. With the initial transfer of 26 inmates to the 45-bed dormitory-style facility, the jail admitted additional inmates when capacity at Oakalla exceeded acceptable levels. Former Oakalla Chief Matron Miss B. Maybee managed the facility, which closed in 1958. Half of the inmates were transferred back to Oakalla, while the other half were released on temporary absence to community-based programs.
Prince George Women’s Jail located in former army detention barracks (1947)
Miss B. Maybee, Matron of Prince George Women’s Gaol (1949)