1950s: First correctional forestry camps established, including the Oakalla camps
Forestry camps emerged as an alternative means of providing segregation, individualized treatment, and a constructive training program. They were a less costly form of treatment program and alleviated congestion in the gaols. The first forestry camp program emerged during the summer of 1951, but significant expansion of the program took place in 1957. In addition to the opening of Haney Correctional Institution that accommodated 400 inmates, plans were implemented to use correctional camps to relieve persistent overcrowding at Oakalla and gaols in the Interior.