Strategic Operations Division
The Strategic Operations Division supports probation and correctional officers in the field by providing:
- Policy analysis
- Program development and management
- Aboriginal justice programs
- Information management and data quality
- Research and evaluation
- Information management and technology development
- Strategic direction
The division works to ensure that case management focuses on changing criminal behaviour and protecting communities. They constantly refine offender management practices including programs, risk/needs assessments, and intake and release.
The division also develops and supports probation officers and correctional officers with the technology that B.C. Corrections uses to monitor and manage offenders, such as the electronic supervision program and our client management software, CORNET.
The Aboriginal Programs and Relationships Section was created to address the challenges of Aboriginal people in their interactions with the criminal justice system, to:
- Improve the relationships and understanding between B.C. Corrections, justice officials and Aboriginal people and their communities
- Enhance the effectiveness of programs and services for Aboriginal offenders
- Be responsive to the justice needs identified by Aboriginal communities
The Performance, Research and Evaluation (PREv) Unit takes an evidence-based approach to developing, implementing and evaluating programs that reduce crime. It combines empirical research with tested best practices to support successful offender reintegration.