Mine Safety Awards
The Mine Safety Awards were established in 1961 by the province to recognize the safety record of mines in this province. Each year, these awards honour mining operations for their safety accomplishments in the previous calendar year.
The Mine Safety Awards are held each year to honour the safest mining operations in B.C. Each year's winners gather the following spring to be presented their awards.
The following awards were handed out on February 27, 2017 at the 55th Annual Mine Safety Awards in Victoria.
Open Pit Mine and Quarry Awards
Certificate of Achievement
Certificates of Achievement were presented to the following operations, all of which had a minimum of 15,000 worker hours and an injury-frequency rate of zero:
- Plateau Construction Ltd. – Harper Ranch Quarry
- CertainTeed Gypsum Canada Inc. – Windermere
- Jack Cewe Ltd. – Treat Creek
- Mainland Sand and Gravel ULC – Jamieson Quarry and Maple Ridge Sand and Gravel
- Imperial Limestone Co. Ltd. – Imperial Limestone Co. Ltd.
- Copcan Civil Ltd. – Northwest Bay Quarry
- Allard Contractors Ltd. – Mission Pit
- Peace River Coal Inc. – Trend-Roman Mine
- Abbotsford Gravel Sales Ltd. – Abbotsford Gravel
Stewart/O'Brian Safety Award
This award was presented to the following operations, all of which logged between 35,000 and 200,000 worker hours and had the lowest injury-frequency rate:
- Mainland Sand and Gravel ULC – Cox Station
- LafargeHolcim – Central Aggregates
- Lafarge Canada Inc. – Pitt River Quarries
- 532470 BC Ltd. – Ward Pit
- LafargeHolcim – Earle Creek
- Orca Sand & Gravel – Orca Sand & Gravel
- Fraser Pacific Enterprises Inc. – Sumas Shale Quarry
Edward Prior Award
This award is presented to operations that logged between 200,000 and 1,000,000 worker hours and had the lowest injury-frequency rate. This year's recipient was Copper Mountain Mine Ltd.
John Ash Award
This award is presented to operations that logged a minimum of 1,000,000 worker hours and had the lowest injury-frequency rate. This award was presented to Gibraltar Mines Inc. and Teck Coal Ltd. – Greenhills.
Underground Mine Awards
Small Underground Mines Award
This award is presented to operations that logged between 20,000 and 240,000 worker hours (one-third of which were underground) and that had the lowest injury-frequency rate. This year’s recipient was JDS Silver – Silvertip.
Large Underground Mines Award
This award is presented to operations with more than 240,000 worker hours (one-third of which were underground) and that had the lowest injury-frequency rate during the calendar year. This year’s recipient was New Gold Inc. – New Afton Mine.
Special Commendations and Awards
Chief Inspector's Recognition Award
The Chief Inspector's Recognition Award is presented to mine sites and/or individuals that have accomplished outstanding achievements in or that have greatly advanced health and safety at mine sites. This award is based on merit and is intended to recognize safety efforts other than safety statistics. The recipients are recognized at the Mine Rescue Competition in June.