Confirm a Patient’s Identity - EBUS.01
Definitive identification helps ensure clinical information is associated with the correct patient. You must safeguard patient personal information by ensuring individuals are who they say they are before accessing or disclosing any information.
To identify a patient:
- Ask for their BC health card (i.e., BC Services Card or CareCard).
- If the patient does not have a BC health card, or claims they do not have a PHN request a second piece of trusted identity documentation (see below) to confirm the patient’s name, birth date, and gender are correctly entered.
- Birth Certificate
- Canadian Citizenship ID Card
- Canadian Forces ID Card
- Canadian Record of Landing
- Change of Name Document
- Confirmation of Permanent Residence
- Driver’s License
- Marriage Certificate
- Native Status Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- Provincial Health Insurance Cards from other Canadian Provinces