Specialized service and funding options may be available for children or teens who have special needs and their families.
Please note that, in most cases, certain eligibility requirements must be met in order to qualify.
Children and Youth with Special Needs (CYSN) staff are available to discuss what services might be available and provide other useful information or support.
Learn about other programs and services available for children or teens who have:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Complex health needs
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
- Hearing or vision loss
- Intellectual Disabilities
The Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) is developing a service framework to better support children and youth with special needs and their families. The framework will guide how the ministry provides and funds CYSN programs and services, to be ready to begin implementation in spring 2020.
The ministry contracted two research firms to identify opportunities to improve access, quality and coordination of CYSN services and programs:
- Reciprocal Consulting led the user-experience research with Indigenous families, focusing on their experiences and journeys as they seek and move through MCFD’s system of supports and services.
- KPMG conducted user-experience research with families, including but not limited to Indigenous families and communities, and gathered information to help the ministry better understand the current state of CYSN services.
This research will inform the service framework and support continuous improvement.
- Summary of the research findings (PDF 504 KB)
The ministry is developing further engagement opportunities in fall 2019 to help inform the development of the service framework.
- Draft Framework Consultation: Fall 2019
- Implementation Planning: Winter 2019
- Public Release of Service Framework: March 2020
- Begin Phased Implementation: Spring 2020
Questions about the service framework can be directed to MCF.ChildrenYouthSpecialNeeds@gov.bc.ca
Select Standing Committee on Children and Youth Public Consultation
The Select Standing Committee on Children and Youth held a public consultation on children and youth with neuro-diverse special needs between April 15 and June 7, 2019. The committee will release its report in the early fall.