How to Apply

All B.C. residents must enrol in the Medical Services Plan (MSP).

If you are new to Canada, apply for MSP as soon as you arrive. Your coverage may start three months after your arrival date in British Columbia. You should get private health care insurance while you wait.

If you are moving from another province, you should arrange for coverage with your former medical plan during the wait period. If your family is not here yet, they need to keep their existing provincial health care. Once they arrive, you can apply to add them to your plan. The wait period for each family member will begin on their individual arrival date.

If your MSP coverage will be under a group plan through your employer, union or pension plan, please contact your group administrator for more information on applying.

Apply Online

The online application takes about 15 minutes to complete. The data you enter will be saved locally to the computer or device you are using up until the point that you close your browser window or submit the form.

Note: If you use a screen reader or assistive device, please apply using the paper form. We are currently working to fix this high priority accessibility issue.  

Before you start, make sure that:

  • You are using one of these web browsers: Internet Explorer 11 or the latest version of Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome or Apple Safari.
  • You have identification for everyone on your application. You will be asked to upload digital images of documents that support the name and Canadian citizenship or immigration status for all persons.
  • You have your marriage certificate or legal name change certificate if your current legal name doesn’t match the name on your ID.

Apply for MSP

Apply by Mail

You can also apply by mail using a paper application form:

Mail the completed application form to:

Health Insurance BC
Medical Services Plan
PO Box 9678 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria BC   V8W 9P7

BC Services Card

Once you are registered with MSP, you will use a BC Services Card when visiting a hospital or medical clinic.

It may be necessary to visit an Insurance Corporation of BC (ICBC) driver licensing office to complete enrolment in MSP. If this is the case, written notice with next steps will be mailed to you.

Coverage Wait Period

New residents or persons re-establishing residence in B.C. may be eligible for coverage after completing a wait period that consists of the balance of the month in which residence is established, plus two months.