Privacy & Personal Information in the Public Sector
Government ministries and other public bodies must collect, use, disclose, store and dispose of personal information appropriately to protect personal privacy.
Amendments to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA) were passed on November 25, 2021.
The privacy management and accountability policy (PDF) helps to ensure ministries meet all legislative obligations and fosters a culture of privacy within government by identifying:
- Roles and responsibilities for privacy management
- Key privacy policies and procedures
- Privacy assessment tools and agreements
- Privacy reporting and audit requirements
- Expectations for promoting privacy accountability, education and awareness
These rules apply to all public sector employees, contractors and service providers.
Guide to Good Privacy Practices
The Guide to Good Privacy Practices explains the government’s privacy protection responsibilities under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA).