Agreements, Contracts & Consent

Public sector organizations may disclose personal information through:

Research Agreements

The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA) allows public sector organizations in B.C. to disclose personal information in their custody or under their control for research or statistical purposes. Researchers can gain access to this information by entering into a legal research agreement that outlines the specific conditions for disclosure. This sample research agreement (PDF, 1.47 MB) provides an example of a binding legal document designed for this purpose.

Information Sharing Agreements

Information Sharing Agreements (ISAs) are used when there is a regular and systematic exchange of personal information between public sector organizations or between a public sector organization and an external agency. For more information, see Sharing Personal Information.

Contracts with Service Providers

Many public sector organizations, including government ministries, rely on service providers to supply goods, services and construction. These contracts may require the service provider to collect, create, use, disclose or store personal information on behalf of the public sector organization.  

Complete and attach the appropriate privacy protection schedule to any contract between a public sector organization and a contractor that involves personal information owned or controlled by the public sector organization.

Individual Consent

An individual may consent to the disclosure of his or her personal information. Learn more in the consents and authorization tip sheet for public bodies (PDF).

MLA Certificate of Authority & Third Party Consent

Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) meet with constituents and provide assistance to those who have questions or concerns about provincial government programs, policies and benefits. In order to assist constituents with these matters, personal information may need to be provided to the MLA or a constituency assistant by a public body.

An MLA can request the release of personal information on behalf of an individual constituent who has directly requested their assistance by using a Certificate of Authority (MS Word). A Member can request the release of personal information on behalf of a constituent who has requested the MLA's assistance on behalf of a third party (e.g. a parent requesting information on behalf of their child or an adult requesting support on behalf of their elderly parent) by using a third party consent form (MS Word).

For additional information on this process, a guideline for MLAs and constituency assistants is available. Note: Both the Certificate of Authority and Third Party Consent form can be signed or agreed to electronically.