Change your personal information

As a B.C. resident you are required to keep your personal information current.

There are a few life events that could require an update to your personal information – getting married or divorced, legally changing your name, moving, or changing your gender.


It's important that the name on your BC Services Card matches your other ID. For more information about making sure your name appears correctly on your ID, visit

To change your name on your BC Services Card:

  1. First contact Health Insurance BC (HIBC) to change your name on your Medical Services Plan (MSP) - or learn more about managing your MSP account 
  2. Once you receive your confirmation letter in the mail, complete your name change by visiting an ICBC driver licensing office

If you also need to change your name on your B.C. driver’s licence, BC identification card (BCID), enhanced driver’s licence (EDL), or enhanced ID (EIC), visit for more information.


You can update your address online for your BC Services Card and your B.C. driver’s licence.

If your BC Services Card has a photo, you will receive an updated address sticker to attach to your card.

If you have an EDL, a B.C. identification card (BCID) or an enhanced ID (EIC), you cannot update your address online ‒ you must contact ICBC directly. 

If you have a BC Services Card Account to log in to services online, your address will be updated in your account automatically when you update your BC Services Card.



Under the Vital Statistics Actcitizens may change gender designation on their government-issued identification (ID). B.C. was the first jurisdiction in Canada to revise its legislation to remove the requirement for surgery before an individual can change the gender on their birth certificate. 

On the following pieces of ID, gender designation is displayed as “Sex”:

  • B.C. Birth Certificate
  • B.C. Driver’s Licence (BCDL)
  • BC Identification Card (BCID)
  • BC Services Card (combined BC Driver’s Licence and Services Card, Photo or Non-photo)
  • Enhanced Driver’s Licence (EDL) and Enhanced Identification Card (EIC)


You may apply to change your gender designation to “M” for male, “F" for female, or “X” for those who do not identify as either male or female.

Gender X is for individuals who do not identify as either male or female or those whose foundation ID document does not indicate gender. At this time, EDL and EIC can only display “M” or “F”, but not “X”.  

To change your gender designation follow these steps:

Option 1 - With an updated birth certificate

  1. Update your birth certificate first before requesting to change gender on other government-issued ID. The BC Vital Statistics Agency website has information on how to update your birth certificate.
  2. Submit a copy of your updated birth certificate to HIBC.
  3. Go in person to an ICBC driver licensing office with your updated birth certificate.  

Option 2 - Without an updated birth certificate                                                                                          

  1. Submit a completed Application for Change of Gender Designation (Adult) or Application for Change of Gender Designation (Minor) first, along with the supporting documentation listed on these application forms to HIBC.
  2. Go in person to an ICBC driver licensing office with a copy of these documents along with primary and secondary ID

NOTE: ICBC can also change the gender designation on your EDL and EIC, but only to “M” or “F” at this time. If you are applying for or currently hold an  EDL or  EIC, please  contact ICBC before visiting an office in person.

Minors or children

Minors (under 19 years of age) you can change your gender designation, with the consent of ALL parents and/or guardians.

However, you may be able to request a waiver of parental consent if:

  • You have a court’s decision severing guardianship.
  • You have a youth agreement from the Ministry of Children and Family Development.
  • You are married and can provide a marriage certificate.
  • You are a parent and have evidence of custody of your children.
  • Your parents and/or guardians are deceased or cannot consent due to a mental disorder.
  • You have one or more parents and/or guardians that cannot be located after a reasonable search.

The waiver request may be submitted with the Application for Change of Gender Designation (Minor), along with the other supporting documents requested on the application.

Gender information card

If you change your gender designation to “X” , this wallet card will help explain “X” to others.

Forms and instructions

Download and print the forms you need:

Order by phone by calling HIBC to request to have the forms mailed to you.

Mail completed forms and supporting documentation to: 

Health Insurance BC
PO Box 9035 Stn Prov Govt,
Victoria BC, V8W 9E3