ChildCareBC New Spaces Fund
The call for applications for the ChildCareBC New Spaces Fund is now open.
The ChildCareBC New Spaces Fund provides funding to create new licensed child care, helping families access, affordable, quality, and inclusive child care as a core service they can depend on, while strengthening communities throughout British Columbia.
Key 2022-23 program changes
The New Spaces Fund program has been updated this year to maximize the number of quality, inclusive community-based child care in areas with the greatest need and align with provincial priorities and commitments under the Canada Wide Early Learning and Child Care Agreement.
Key changes for 2022-23 include:
- An open intake for applications starting May 31st, 2022. The intake will close when funding runs out or at the end of the 2022/23 funding cycle. Applicants are encouraged to apply by January 2023 to have their applications considered. The website will be updated with closure dates
- Removal of maximum provincial funding amounts to support larger space-creation projects, with prioritization for projects with a cost per space of $40,000 or less
- Increased priority for projects creating infant/toddler child care spaces
- Increased priority on school age space creation, including a new application stream for school districts, First Nation Schools, First Nation Independent Schools, and Not-For-Profit Independent Schools creating new School Age Care on School Grounds licence category type
- Added eligibility for the funding of consultation services incurred up to 12 months prior to entering a Funding Agreement
- New requirement for projects to include a minimum 10% contingency fund
This funding is available to support the creation, expansion and relocation of child care facilities proposing to create new, licensed child care spaces. The following applicants are eligible to apply:
- Public sector organizations including local governments, school districts, health authorities, Crown corporations, and public post-secondary institutions
- Indigenous governments
- Not-for-profit organizations (societies) including not-for-profit child care providers, child development centres, and Indigenous not-for-profit organizations
The complete list of eligibility requirements can be found in the guidelines.
To apply for this funding stream, please see the New Spaces Fund (Primary stream) application page for funding guidelines, application information and resource documents.
The School Age Care on School Grounds funding stream is only available to:
- B.C. school districts
- First Nation schools
- First Nation independent schools
- Not-for-Profit independent schools
That are creating or expanding access to new School Age Care on School Grounds licence type through ground-up builds, renovations, and/or the purchase of equipment.
To apply for this funding stream, please see the School Age Care on School Grounds Stream application page for funding guidelines, application information and resource documents.
2022/2023 Key Dates
May 31, 2022: Call for applications open.
The intake will close when funding runs out or at the end of the 2022-23 funding cycle. Applicants are encouraged to submit a complete application by January 2023 to ensure the application can be considered prior to fiscal year end, as funding approval is subject to budget availability.