Community Energy & Emissions – Resources
In developing the Community Energy & Emissions Inventory the Ministry identified or developed supporting material and research that was instrumental in establishing the methodologies and approach for this community level.
- Data Requirements for Community Energy and Emissions Inventories (CEEI) in British Columbia (PDF, 1.8MB), July 2008
An exploration of the emerging international inventory frameworks and protocols and the anticipated data requirements for a CEEI system, including recommendations for data inclusion and exclusion in the forthcoming CEEI reports.
- Secondary Indicators for Community Inventory Interpretation (PDF, 879KB), June 2008
An initial listing of supporting indicators (then called secondary indicators) for each of the sectors – land use, transportation, buildings and solid waste. The listing has since been undertaken by the Ministry of Community Services.
- Community Energy and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory: User Needs Research (PDF, 10.4MB), December 2007
A survey of B.C. local and provincial governments exploring their experiences and perceived needs for a provincially-sponsored community energy and emissions data warehouse, analysis and reporting system.
- Energy and Greenhouse Gas Inventories by Local Governments in B.C.: Implications for the CEEI Initiative (PDF, 543KB), November 2007
A scan of corporate and community-wide energy and greenhouse gas emissions inventories being undertaken by B.C. local governments.
- Best Practices and Better Protocols: Guidance for a Comprehensive Emissions Inventory System From a High Level Review of International Best Practices (PDF, 2MB), November 2007
A high-level view of the typical protocols, systems and practices being used by a sampling of local governments in North America undertaking energy and emissions inventories.
- 2012 Floor Area Methodology, BC Assessment Building Information Report (PDF, 353KB)
The floor area methodology for residential, industrial and commercial buildings as derived from the BC Assessment Building Information Reports.
- Opportunities for Mapping Rooftop Solar Energy Using Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) (PDF, 2.3MB), March 2013
A resource to familiarize local government staff and elected officials with the potential benefits of using LiDAR. The specific application of LiDAR to solar energy mapping is provided, although this presents only one of many valuable products that can be generated from these datasets.
- Residential Heating Oil, Propane, and Wood Heat Estimates for BC Communities (PDF, 189KB), May 2010
A study that builds upon information prepared by the Pembina Institute, with input from Enerficiency Consulting, that outlines available data sources and possible approaches to developing oil and propane estimates for CEEI. This study undertakes further investigation of the data sources and calculates estimates of consumption for each local government for heating oil and propane as well as wood.
- Assessing Vehicular GHG Emissions: A Comparison of Theoretical Measures and Technical Approaches (PDF, 406KB), November 2008
A report comparing theoretical measures and technical approaches in models that estimate vehicle GHG emissions at the local level.
- Report on Inventory of GHG Generation from Landfills in British Columbia (PDF, 1MB), February 2008
An inventory of GHG generation from the top 35 landfills in British Columbia.
Local Government Contributions
- CEEI Report Review and Comparison to Metro Municipalities (PDF, 833KB), November 2009
An analysis by the City of North Vancouver on how the CEEI will enable local governments to evaluate more accurately their current GHG contributions and support the provincial mandate for substantial reductions.
- 2007 CEEI Reports – User Survey Results (PDF, 214KB), May 2009
A short survey posted at the time the draft 2007 CEEI reports were released to solicit feedback from local government staff and others who might use them.
Community Energy and Emissions Planning Resources
- Community Energy & Emissions Planning: A Guide For B.C. Local Governments (PDF, 676KB), September 2008
A collaborative effort of the Province of British Columbia and the Community Energy Association to support local government elected officials and staff in undertaking energy and emissions planning.
Energy and GHG Modelling Resources
- Exploring Transformational Change: Local Government Climate Change Pathways to 2050 (PDF, 4.3MB), February 2014
A paper comparing the assertive GHG reduction targets and related actions of select B.C. local governments with those of a few leading European communities. Includes observations on the kinds of actions all B.C. local governments might consider on their path towards becoming low-carbon communities.
- Community Energy and Emissions Modelling - BC Climate Action Toolkit
A tool that allows local governments to assess the impact of projected land use changes on future energy use and GHG emissions through different transportation patterns and the built environment.
- City of North Vancouver 100 Year Sustainability Vision: GHG Measurement and Mapping (PDF, 829KB), January 2009
A report featuring one of a growing number of innovative methodological approaches to projecting future “urban form” and the impact on GHG emissions in a community.
- Review of Energy and GHG Characterization Methods (PDF, 347KB), March 2009
Commissioned by Natural Resources Canada on behalf of the Technical Committee on Urban Energy Characterization (TCUEC), a review and evaluation of methods for energy and GHG characterization, including B.C.'s CEEI initiative.
- BC Stats Population Data
A web page providing total population data for municipalities, regional districts and development regions.