Provincial Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory
In 2017, British Columbia's greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions were 64.5 million tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent (Mt CO2e). Net emissions after including 1.0 Mt CO2e in offsets from forest management projects were 63.5 Mt CO2e. Accordingly, B.C.'s net GHG emissions were down 2.0%, from 64.8 Mt CO2e in the baseline year 2007.
B.C.'s Provincial Inventory covers all of the emissions included in the province’s GHG targets. It also includes emissions from changes in land use and forest management for information purposes only.
The Climate Action Secretariat prepares the Provincial Inventory and publishes the tables annually, with a two-year delay to allow time to assemble the information. The 2017 Provincial Inventory (XLSX) was published in summer 2019.
Key Data and Reports
- 2017 Provincial Inventory (XLSX)
- Provincial Inventory frequently asked questions
- Provincial Inventory Methodology Book (PDF)
- Provincial Inventory Method Changes and Exceptions Table (PDF)
- B.C. utilities energy data at the community level (XLSX, 2.5 MB)
- B.C. landfill waste data at the community level (XLSX)