Due diligence searches

You can request a search for unresolved complaints involving a specific company. For example, to find out if a company for sale owes unpaid wages.

When the search is complete, you'll be notified by email about any unresolved complaints involving the company.

Due diligence searches won't provide information about:

  • The complaint itself, such as what is alleged or the amount of unpaid wages
  • The past record of the employer, such as complaints that were resolved
  • Unpaid wage liabilities of the directors or officers of a company
  • Complaints that haven't been filed. Employees have up to six months after their last day of work to file a complaint

Submit a search request

Use the following steps to complete and submit a search request.

You must get written authorization from the employer's business granting you permission to request a search for their records. If you're searching for multiple business names, you must have authorization from each business to be searched.

You must pay a $35 non-refundable search fee for each legal name searched. For example, you would pay a fee of $70 to search two legal names.

Depending on your chosen method of payment, you can submit the search request in different ways.

Pay online with credit card

You can complete the due diligence search request online to reduce processing time and pay using a credit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express). Note: Debit cards (such as Interac or Visa Debit) cannot be used to pay the search fee.

Submit your request

Pay by phone with credit card

If you want to pay by phone using a credit card, you can submit your request online first and follow the instructions at the end of the process.

Pay by cheque

You can also submit your request online if paying by cheque. After you submit your request, mail the fee (Payable to Minister of Finance) to the address below. Write the case number or the business name(s) being searched on the cheque. We’ll send you confirmation when we receive your search request and payment.

Employment Standards Branch
Victoria, BC  V8W 9K1

If sending by courier:

​Employment Standards Branch
200-880 Douglas Street
Victoria, BC  V8W 2B7