Pill press reporting and recording requirements
Changes to Controlled Equipment
All Owner Categories are responsible to notify the Registrar of any changes to a piece of Controlled Equipment in their inventory, including if the piece of Controlled Equipment is sold, lost, stolen, or destroyed, or the address where the piece of equipment is ordinarily stored has changed.
Controlled Equipment Location Change
Any change to the location where a piece of Controlled Equipment is ordinarily stored must be reported to the Registrar. All Owner Categories must report the location change(s) via the “Change Location” option on their Client Profile Dashboard page, within 10 days after the event.
Lost, Stolen, or Destroyed Controlled Equipment
In the event that a piece of Controlled Equipment is lost, stolen, or destroyed, notice to the Registrar must be given no later than the next business day. To report a lost, stolen, or destroyed piece of Controlled Equipment, Owner Categories are required to use the “Report Change (lost, stolen, destroyed)” option on their Client Profile Dashboard page.
Sale of Controlled Equipment
Any sale of Controlled Equipment must be reported via the “Report Sale” option of the Pill Press Online Registry. Only Registered Sellers are authorized to sell Controlled Equipment. Any other Owner Categories who wish to sell their Controlled Equipment must first apply for a Registration. If a business acts as a broker or supplier of alternative ownership arrangements (i.e. renting, leasing, lending) for Controlled Equipment, these are considered controlled activities (For more details on the reporting sales requirement, please see Reporting Sales).
Controlled Equipment Recording and Reporting of Sales
Recording of Sales
For each sale of Controlled Equipment, a Registered Seller must:
- Record the sale using the Record of Sale – (Business or Individual) forms.
- Collect details of the sale, including: the date on which the sale was made; description of the Controlled Equipment sold (including make, model, serial number and/or Equipment Registry Number); the Registered Seller’s Registration number; method of payment used; and whether the Controlled Equipment will be stored in a dwelling house.
- Collect from the intended purchaser information confirming that they belong to an Owner Category under the Act (i.e. drug establishment or site licence, Waiver number, Registration number)
- Collect from the intended purchaser prescribed information respecting the purchaser's identity (whether business or individual) as follows:
NOTE. If the intended purchaser holds a site or drug establishment licence, the name as shown on licence and expiry date
- Provide a copy of the completed Record of Sale form to the purchaser (see the section below for further information).
Section 4 (2) of the Act prohibits a Registered Seller from selling Controlled Equipment to any “person in British Columbia” other than to an Owner Category under the Act. Different factors may apply in assessing whether an intended purchaser is a “person in British Columbia”, including without limitation:
- The intended purchaser’s jurisdiction of incorporation or registration
- Extra-provincial registration(s), if any
- Location of business operations
- Location of warehouse(s)
- Place(s) of business
- Office(s) (including registered office and records office), if any.
If in doubt, a Registered Seller may wish to consult with their legal advisor.
If the intended purchaser is a “person in British Columbia”, the Registered Seller must confirm that the intended purchaser is either an Authorized Owner, Waiver holder, or Registered Seller under the Act.
A Registered Seller is required to provide a copy of the completed Record of Sale form to the purchaser. This provides essential information to a BC purchaser, who is required under the Act to report their acquisition of Controlled Equipment to the Registrar. This is performed via an Equipment Notification. Purchasers from outside of BC are not required to provide Equipment Notification.
Registered Sellers are required to report all sales of Controlled Equipment, whether the purchasers are from inside or outside BC.
Both the Registered Seller and purchaser must notify the Registrar of the sale of Controlled Equipment via the Client Dashboard within 10 days. However, the purchaser is exempt from this requirement in respect of dies, moulds, and punches. No exemption applies in respect of the Registered Seller, who must report all sales of Controlled Equipment.
Both the Registered Seller and purchaser are required to keep a record of sale form for a minimum period of two years.