New West Partnership Trade Agreement

The New West Partnership Trade Agreement (NWPTA) is an economic partnership between the governments of British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan that creates an interprovincial free trade zone. Manitoba joined NWPTA on January 1, 2020.

One of the benefits of the agreement is it streamlines the regulatory requirements to start and operate a business and eliminates the need to file multiple registrations and reports between the four provinces.

Business Entities Covered Under NWPTA

  • Cooperatives
  • Corporations (Companies)
  • Limited Partnerships
  • Limited Liability Partnerships

Note: There are currently no requirements to register sole proprietorships or general partnerships doing business extraprovincially (in provinces other than your home province). However, you are required to obtain the necessary licenses and permits as required by local governments in their jurisdictions.

Use an Attorney

The New West Partnership Trade Agreement (NWPTA) requires you to use the services of an attorney in the extended provinces to act as your representative. An attorney for service must be established in order to receive notices in that province. The address of the attorney for service must be in the same jurisdiction as the extraprovincial registration request.

Information for B.C. Entities

Online Service

B.C. corporations (companies) that need to register or update information as an extraprovincial entity in AlbertaSaskatchewanor Manitoba must complete their filings in the appropriate jurisdiction.  

Name Request - use this application to:

  • reserve a company name in B.C.

Names requests for companies who wish to register in Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba must be made in the appropriate province(s). Provincial Registries can be reached at: 

Corporate Online - A list of Extraprovincial Company filings are conveniently grouped under the Corporate Online Services menu. 

Find out how to register and update records under NWPTA.

Note: If you have not been directed to this web page by a formal notice or by staff at B.C. Registries and Online Services, contact the Registry office to determine if you are following the correct steps for registration or for submitting other filings in Alberta, Saskatchewan and/or Manitoba under the New West Partnership Trade Agreement. 

Information for Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba Entities 

Any registrations and updates to records that need to be filed with B.C. Registries must be filed in British Columbia.

Note: The B.C. Business Corporations Act requires corporations based in Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba to register as an extraprovincial company within two months after beginning to carry on business in B.C.