Death of a Spouse or Dependant

If you have lost your spouse or a dependent child, there are benefits and services available to support you and your family.

Bereavement & Funeral Leave

Two types of leave help and support you through the loss of a loved one. Let your supervisor know you need to take bereavement or funeral leave.

Short-term Counselling

Short-term counselling is available free of charge for employees and family members who resided with the deceased spouse or dependent.

To access this service call 1 800 655-5004.

Initiate a Life Insurance Claim

If you have optional spouse and dependent group life insurance or the optional family funeral benefit, please call AskMyHR and select option one. We will assist you with all the needed paperwork.

Update Your Benefits Coverage

Please see table below for the applicable forms to update your benefits coverage.

BCGEU employees can also find forms in Employee Self Serve.

Benefit Task Bargaining Unit Employees Excluded Employees
Medical Services Plan Remove spouse or dependent from coverage Group Change Request (PDF, 621KB) Group Change Request (PDF, 621KB)
Extended Health and Dental Plan Remove spouse or dependent from coverage Enrolment, Change,Terminations for Extended Health Care and Dental (PDF, 293KB) Flexible Benefits Enrolment/Change (PDF, 459KB)
  Change coverage options N/A Flexible Benefits Enrolment/Change (PDF, 459KB)
Group Life Insurance Change beneficiary Group Life Beneficiary Designation (DOCX, 50KB) Group Life Beneficiary Designation (DOCX, 50KB) - to MyHR and the Pay and Benefits Centre

Update Your Beneficiary

To fully update your beneficiary, you need to also mail your original Group Life Beneficiary Designation form to the Pay & Benefits Centre. It is a legal document and your beneficiary will not be updated unless this step is completed. Send your form to

Pay & Benefits Service Centre
Block E - 2261 Keating Cross Road
Saanichton, B.C.
V8M 2A5