Death in the workplace
Last updated: February 9, 2022
If a death occurs in the workplace
- Make sure the scene is not disturbed except to attend to the victim
- Make sure staff people and public citizens are safe
- Evacuate the site if necessary
- Call 911 to notify the police or RCMP
- Call the Occupational Safety and Health Emergency line: 250-952-0911
Death of a BC Public Service employee
If the deceased was a BC Public Service employee, contact:
- WorkSafeBC Prevention Emergency line: 1-888-621-7233
- AskMyHR: 1-877-277-0772 or submit an AskMyHR (IDIR restricted) service request using the categories Myself (or) My Team or Organization > Leaving the Public Service > Death of an Employee
- The program area director
If a fatality occurs in the workplace, complete a submission via the Safety Incident Reporting Portal (Form 7).
Refer to Death of a BC Public Service employee for next steps.