Death in the Workplace
If a death occurs in the workplace
- Make sure the scene is not disturbed except to attend to the victim
- Make sure staff people and public citizens are safe
- Evacuate the site if necessary
- Call 911 to notify the police or RCMP
- Call the Occupational Safety and Health Emergency line: 250 952-0911
Death of a BC Public Service Employee
If the deceased was a BC Public Service employee, contact
- WorkSafeBC Prevention Emergency line: 1 888 621-7233
- AskMyHR: 1 877 277-0772
- The program area director
If a fatality occurs in the workplace, complete a WorkSafeBC Employer's Report of Injury or Occupational Disease (Form 7).
Refer to Death of an Employee for next steps.