Assessing applicants

Last updated: June 1, 2022

Assessment describes any type of activity that determines the extent to which applicants possess the knowledge, skills, abilities and behavioural competencies required for the BC Public Service job.

On this page



Assessment methods

The most common way to assess applicants is to conduct an interview or written assignment.

Additional assessment methods include:

  • Planning and Conducting Interviews (DOCX, 283KB): In person interviews, phone interviews and online interviews
  • Simulations: In-basket exercises, role plays and oral presentations
  • Written assignments: Multiple choice, short answer, long answer, true or false and checklist or matching
  • Online testing: Behavioural testing, cognitive testing, skills testing
  • Past work performance checks: Reference checks, work samples and performance reviews
  • Physical tests: Capacity or aptitude tests

Which methods to use

The following assessment methods are commonly used to assess knowledge, skills, abilities and behavioural competencies


  • Written assignments
  • Job simulations
  • Knowledge-based interview questions

Skills and abilities

  • Written assignments
  • Online skills
  • Oral presentations
  • Role plays
  • In-basket exercises
  • Physical tests
  • Hypothetical interview question
  • Reference checks

Behavioural competencies

  • Behavioural interview questions
  • Role plays
  • Oral presentations
  • Reference checks

To get a more complete picture of applicant's competence and ability to do the job, use multiple assessment methods to assess all the critical knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies.

For information on providing accommodation during the hiring process, please review the Manager's Guide to Reasonable Accommodation (PDF, 438KB).

For more information about assessment options, please contact AskMyHR (IDIR restricted) by submitting a service request using the categories A Hiring Manager > Hiring Process > Assessment & Selection.

Contact us

Can’t find what you need? 

Submit an AskMyHR (IDIR restricted) service request.

If you're a government employee without an IDIR, contact the BC Public Service Agency to submit your service request.