Sick leave for B.C. government employees

Last updated on January 24, 2024

If you're having health issues and need time off from work, paid leave is available.

Those eligible for sick leave will receive a percentage of their salary with uninterrupted benefits.

On this page

Short term sick leave

Short term sick leave allows time off work when you're ill or injured. 

Under the Short Term Illness and Injury Plan (STIIP), eligible employees continue to receive a large percentage of their salary and benefits coverage while off work due to illness or injury. 

If you're medically unable to be at work and need time to recuperate, you need to:

  • Let us know right away. Contact your supervisor directly and let them know about your limitations and restrictions and the length of your recovery. Keep them up to date on progress. Think about what you can do and discuss options for modifying your duties and/or hours when able to work in some capacity
  • Record your days off in the Time and LeaveRestricted Access management system. Ask your supervisor to do this on your behalf if necessary
  • Stay in touch. Keep the lines of communication open and let your supervisor know if there’s anything job related impacting your health

In some cases, you may be contacted by an occupational health nurse, an injury recovery specialist or a Disability Case Specialist who can help develop a suitable rehabilitation and return to work plan. A doctor’s certificate may also be requested.

Those eligible for sick leave will receive a percentage of their salary with uninterrupted benefits.

WorkSafeBC claims

Report workplace injuries to your supervisor immediately. 

You can also apply for WorkSafeBC benefits if a workplace injury causes you to seek medical attention or be absent.

Learn more about how to make a WorkSafeBC claim.

Long Term Disability (LTD) Plan

If you’ve been on short term leave for 3 months and a full return to work does not seem likely after 6 months of leave, you should apply for LTD benefits.

Reporting other income, subrogation and integration of funds

As an employee, you have an obligation to report funds from other sources to the employer.

The STIIP and LTD plans provide the employer with the right to integrate these funds and recover costs.

Employees are generally not entitled to receive double compensation for the same illness or injury and these funds may be deductible from STIIP and LTD benefits.

Please email Canada Life or call them at 1-888-292-4111:

  • To report any other income you might receive from other sources, such as WorkSafeBC, ICBC, private insurance, employment insurance, CPP or income assistance
  • If you have a lawsuit pending as a result of an injury like a 'slip and fall' injury
  • If you have a lawsuit pending for an injury from a motor vehicle accident that occurred before May 17, 2018

Personal disability insurance

Employees are able to supplement their disability income by purchasing individual coverage through various insurance providers, such as a bank.

Employees considering purchasing additional individual disability insurance should submit an AskMyHRRestricted Access service request to inquire if the coverage would be offset by the Long Term Disability Plan provided through the employer.

Use the categories Myself (or) My Team/Organization > Leave & Time Off > Sick leave.


Health and well-being has a variety of programs and services to help you with your work, life and health, such as counselling support, legal advice, financial planning, elder care and parenting support.